MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 I/xr Crashes... Any ideas?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremyR
Media 100 I/xr Crashes... Any ideas?
on Oct 8, 2007 at 10:54:31 pm

The Application crashes when I "option, drag" to lasso multiple items on the time line. Once they are all selected I try to drag them and the system freezes. It does this in multiple timelines. It will do it just about every time. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

holyCowSeattle
Re: Media 100 I/xr Crashes... Any ideas?
on Oct 9, 2007 at 6:10:36 am

We experienced the same problem and it FINALLY went away when we updated to 8.2.3 and got rid of our dual-monitor setup. (Went to a larger single screen.) Something in that sequence of events FINALLY got rid of that (exceedingly annoying) bug.

We were working on a dual 1.2 G4.

-P

MACHINE:
Apple Intel 1164-CORE Cyber-Net Station
36 KiloTerabytes Ram
OSX 19.2.1 VelociRaptor
Quicktime 12
24 Kiloquad Data Pipe to the eCentral RAID core
Final Cut w.Virtual Reality Studio V9.0.4
iDirect Neural Interface
MSOffice 2024
After Effects CS14

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Oct 9, 2007 at 6:11:16 pm

That's interesting. Was this an issue from the start, or did it pop up later down the road? This bug just popped up in the last week. Had worked pretty good for almost two years.

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on Oct 9, 2007 at 8:01:15 pm

As I recall it started at some point during the M100 ownership transitions for us. There were some fractional SW updates, but nothing solid. We also did a lot of reconfiguring during that time (office move...hardware updates, etc.) which necessitated a lot of hardware shuffling and such. All that I can definitively remember is that one day out of the blue (after our move and a few sw updates)...dragging multiple clips into the timeline resulted in a lockup. I found an occasional workaround....which involved an ALT+TAB keyboard stroke to switch to the FINDER. Sometimes switching to the FINDER and performing an activity or two (Open a HD and examine its contents or print a quick text document) and then switch back to the M100 would effectively "burp" it and unlock the process. This worked about 30% of the time as I recall. The rest of the time I would have to force quit and restart the machine. (Usually restarting the app would lead to further similar type errors/lockups.)

Regards,
-P

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Oct 9, 2007 at 8:20:47 pm

What version are you running? I think to remember vaguely that there were some problems like this with Pre-V8.2 software versions. But I am not really sure when this happened, and when this was fixed. You really should be running V8.2.3a, though.

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Oct 9, 2007 at 9:30:58 pm

It shows 8.2.3 but it does not show "a". It's been running this version for awhile with little problem. This freeze issue came pretty quick. Nothing's been added to the system. No changes I'm aware of.

Dual 2 with 2gigs

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Oct 9, 2007 at 9:35:41 pm

[jeremyR] "It shows 8.2.3 but it does not show "a". It's been running this version for awhile with little problem. This freeze issue came pretty quick. Nothing's been added to the system. No changes I'm aware of. "

You most likely have the 8.2.3a version, then. There was a 8.2.3, but it got pulled pretty quickly and replaced with the 8.2.3a, but unfortunately there is no way to know which is which. Anyway, nothing should have changed in these versions that caused or fixed your problem.

Did you e.g. rearrange your computer screens, or maybe change the resolution or colordepth of one of your monitors? Did you update or change anything that is related to the system? Have you tried checking your media drives with something like DiskUtility or DiskWarrior?

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Oct 9, 2007 at 9:58:07 pm

No screen changes. It's been the same for over a year. I will run disk-utility on all the drives molmentarily. Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on this very frustrating issue.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Oct 9, 2007 at 11:25:32 pm

The Disk utilty did not catch anything. I'm running Norton Disk Doctor on it now. I did notice, while going through the raid drive, in the media folders that about 5-10 percent of the video file icons were different. The icons looked like a gray square page with the media 100 file icon smaller right in the middle of it with a circle around it. Any idea why some of the icons look different. They seem to play ok in media 100, although I can't open them in Q.T.

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on Oct 10, 2007 at 4:16:28 am

Ok...now this is REALLY starting to sound familiar. Now I remember all of the fuss of the aforementioned re-configuration. (We don't normally EVER have to break down an entire M100 system and redo/reload it...thats why there was some serious "fuss" over that incident in our office.)
The end cause was that we lost a hard drive out of our SCSI raid. As I recall...when the problems in the Media100 started--none of the disk utilities turned up any problems until the drive finally stopped responding (electrically) altogether. When that failed we decided to wipe and rebuild.

What jogged my memory on this was the whole "...we can play the clip in Media100 but not in QT..."
My prediction is.....If you are on the same path we were....you will soon start to experience clip failures within the Media100 application as well. (Clips start to get "chunky" and the video output screen/edit window turns "green" a lot.) The system starts reporting "Bad Frame" errors. ANd it eventually starts locking up. Pretty soon you won't be able to export clips either. The system quickly degraded and we lost all our active projects.

We rebuilt our raid and wiped/reloaded the system at that point. (last version of 8.2.3 whichever it was.)

Interesting note....we initially tried to rebuld the raid with some other SCSI drives we had leftover from a previous OS9 based Media100 system. They were Seagate Atlas IV's....which I learned the hard way are NOT compatible with OSX. (That RAID was PSYCHOTIC!) Really, Imagine that!? A SCSI drive not compatible with a MAc operating system!? Its well documented on Seagate's site....

In teh end, we purchased a new matched set of drives--loaded them in the external case--striped 'em---and the system then ran fine for another 2 years until we retired it.

Regards,
-P

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Oct 10, 2007 at 3:01:05 pm

Well, unfortunatly I started getting the bad frame errors, I did not think that was related. I deleted all of the media that had the odd looking icons. I do have a Medea SCSI drive... I guess I'll start backing up the projects!

Did you have the video media files that had the odd looking icons?

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on Oct 11, 2007 at 2:17:39 am

As I recall...and it has been a while...the file icons were still movie-esque...but they were darker. Grey perhaps? Yes it happened with us as well.

The stange part of it all...is that we ran EVERY damn utility under the sun on the drives and they ALL reported the drives as fine. WE would re-low level format the drives...rebuild the raid...and it would work for an hour or two...then start having trouble again as it would fill up as we restored data.

The drives (2 out of 8 of them) finally stopped responding to low-level formatting. (Died electronically) And then we finally knew DEFINITIVELY that two of the drives had died.

Again, my biggest and most burning frustration was with the Myraid of utilities we tried on the drives with no success. (To my dismay, they ALL repeatedly reported the damaged drives as "fine".) Again and again...even the apple disk utility reported the drives as "ok." Yet they weren't.

Good luck.

-P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]