MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Best 30 inch monitor for M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinBest 30 inch monitor for M100
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 3:43:02 pm

Hi All

Anyone got an opinion on the best 30 inch computer monitor currently available to work with the Mac and Media 100 HD. Ideally it would double as an HD video monitor.

The Eizo is expensive - is it worth it?

The Apple gets slated in reviews and is no good for video apparently. Update due soon perhaps?

The Dell seems great but I've read you can't calibrate them properly using a Mac?

Samsung or HP perhaps?

NEC don't sem to have a 30 inch.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattleRe: Best 30 inch monitor for M100
by on Oct 10, 2007 at 5:01:30 am

This probably isn't the answer you were looking for...but here goes...

(Keep reading...I do eventually address your question..)

I know a lot of people work "on the cheap" when it comes to HD monitoring and I suggest you don't.

Buy an HD tube. Even if it is a really small one--and put that by your edit position.

For client session WOW factor, buy a relatively cheap (well..not that cheap $1500) 42" Panasonic Production plasma. Hang that on the wall above your edit position. They look great in the room and really show off your work.

But you get an HD tube for your editor position monitoring.

(( If you are doing regular HD work for clients, you should have the budget for it---its truly an INVALUABLE tool.))

Most people don't realize that when you monitor on LCD (or plasma for that matter...) you can't see your interlacing.

Exporting to After Effects, transcoding codecs and working in 3rd party applications opens you to a host of potential FIELD issues (flicker, etc) that you SIMPLY WON'T SEE on an LCD.

Dare to disagree with me folks. I will send you proof on HDCAM.

I am dubbing tapes in our office (HDCAM Offlay) 3-4 times a month to several "laptop" guys in the area who shoot HDV short films and P2 stuff for corporate work. (No offense intended as I am one too on my own time...but I still check my personal work on a tube before I offlay!)Point being, their output is often WRONG. Sometimes its only one shot in a 12 minute video...but it is FLAGRANTLY obvious when the interlacing is wrong!

Keep in mind many of the things you do can introduce interlacing flicker if you are not careful. Upscaled SD footage can develop flicker if the fields aren't set correctly....using the wrong CODEC for production can introduce SERIOUS flicker or even just Moire artifacts if you get the settings off or compress too much....and on an LCD there simply is NO WAY to see this.

THE ANSWER YOU PROBABLY WANTED: I do understand your concern over the investment on the Apple 30". Get it. Its a greaqt monitor. I have one at home, my boss has one on his edit rig and our other editor uses one in the office. Its a great piece of tech and you will really LOVE the additional desktop workspace. Its scorchingly bright and resolves color realy well for and LCD. It is strange however...that there are relatively few reviews of it on the web. I don't know why that is....

That stated, however, I personally would never use that alone for video editing. I think the whole "one LCD..." dream the marketers (Apple?) are selling us is wrong...or at least distorted.

Yes, I know there are alot of great 3rd party products that allow us to use LCD's (HD-SDI/SDI/HDMI converters, etc) for our HD monitoring. But folks...when you really do the math...LCD's suck when compared to a quality tube. Brightness, LATENCY, (did I mention LATENCY?), and other factors just keep them from being as good (for the moment..YES, they are evolving.)
FYI: Did you know...some large format LCD's don't even display TRUE Millions of Colors. They display several thousand and "dither" to fake it for the eye. A common practice in the industry. Read the specs carefully. (SIDEBAR: That recently came to light AGAIN in the news with several angry laptop owners suing apple for what they felt was a misrepresentation.)

But all that aside LCD's are still progressive in nature...and we are for the most part (in broadcast 480i & 1080i) still operating in an interlaced world.

Buy the 30". It rocks.
Get a few extra jobs and buy an HD Tube for monitoring.

Don't obsess over the fractional number of specs and reviews...I gave up a long time ago. I try to focus on my the technology we use is so quickly out of date it does not merit the years we take off our lives obsessing over these details.

Apple Intel 1164-CORE Cyber-Net Station
36 KiloTerabytes Ram
OSX 19.2.1 VelociRaptor
Quicktime 12
24 Kiloquad Data Pipe to the eCentral RAID core
Final Cut w.Virtual Reality Studio V9.0.4
iDirect Neural Interface
MSOffice 2024
After Effects CS14

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Best 30 inch monitor for M100
by on Oct 10, 2007 at 7:42:21 am

Thanks for your thoughts - I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but I was thinking of the 30 inch LCD for editing only and for the increased desktop area with AFX, not for monitoring HD output.

Having said that, I have been looking at the Matrox MXO with a 1920x1200 LCD and the web is full of pro graders who swear by this device - 9/10ths of what a broadcast tube would deliver apparently - I've not seen it myself yet.

I'm happy to listen to alternative views but unless there is a conspiracy out there the MXO seems to be a solution for all but the most demanding users?

I take you point about the need to see interlaced video properly and I use a tube monitor at the moment for just that reason. Apparently the MXO will show interlaced video and display any field errors as you would see on a tube.

As for latency, I'm not sure if the MXO helps hear but with the latest LCDs this is becoming a minor issue.

I guess the bottom line for me is I don't have clients visit my edits that often and it will be a couple of years before I'm working in HD full time, so for monitoring output I think the MXO might be the way to go until I'm doing a lot more HD work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved