MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

internal hard drives for HD?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nickelinternal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 2:40:01 pm

Hi. I'm configuring a new Mac Pro for use with Media 100 HD. If I plan on using Apple Pro Res and/or DVCPro HD for most of my work, will the offered internal drives be fast enough? They are listed as: 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 4:17:41 pm

[Nickel] "Hi. I'm configuring a new Mac Pro for use with Media 100 HD. If I plan on using Apple Pro Res and/or DVCPro HD for most of my work, will the offered internal drives be fast enough? They are listed as: 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s.
"

They should be fast enough. But I would get 2 internal drives for storage and pair them as a RAID0 drive to be sure.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 5:01:17 pm

I think you be OK with DVC Pro with compression, but the Pro Res Codec requires a lot of horsepower with regard to processor and drive speeds.

Return to posts index

NickelRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 7:53:53 pm

Thanks Floh and David.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 5, 2007 at 9:46:06 pm

Hi Nickel,

I'm using three of the bays in my Mac Pro with 320Gb drives raided together. It has been fine for SD and has passed various test utilities for compressed HD, though I haven't had the opportunity to test it in battle so to speak. I was going to use all four internal bays, but I couldn't make the MacPro work well booting from an external drive.

One point though, if you have the opportunity, consider buying the drives separately from another supplier and fitting them yourself. Apple tends to overcharge for drives (and memory) and fitting them (and memory) in the MacPro is a real doddle.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

NickelRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 8, 2007 at 8:52:22 pm

Thanks, Kieran.

Return to posts index

DenaliRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 9, 2007 at 8:08:53 pm

I upgraded to the 8-core a few months ago. And loaded it up with internal hard drives.
They work fine for SD and you can also do compressed HD (dvcprohd) with them. You need to use the DVCPRO HD codec however. The drives didn't seem fast enough to handle the Media100HDcodec. I seem to remember trying out the motion jpeg b codec in HD as well - and it worked for loading - but seemed to run into problems for render effects. The DVC Pro HD codec would be better though anyway.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: internal hard drives for HD?
by on Oct 9, 2007 at 8:22:00 pm

[Denali] "The drives didn't seem fast enough to handle the Media100HDcodec. "

That

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]