MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MattM100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:27:15 pm

Media100i 8.2.3a
After Effects 7
Boris FX 6.1.1
Graffiti 2.1
MacOS 10.4.8
Quicktime 7.1.3

Rendering NTSC D1 frame to M100i Lossless codec

Importing into M100i with quick import. Plays well. Looks good. Clips arranged in a and B video tracks. Arrows apply normally from timeline. As soon as I try to apply a transition from the edit suite, M100i crashes.

I'm not doing anything with these clips that requires transparency, so I don't need the alpha channel for these clips. With that said, I'd like to set my output module in AE to output a file with an alpha channel, so it's there if I need it (like animated logo on black) or if I don't need it, I just lay the clip in the video track and can apply transitions to it.

I had the system working like this in the past, but I had to reload AE, or something else changed. I'm not sure.

What alpha channel works best with this configuration of apps?

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:37:39 pm

Try rendering out of After Effects using a different codec (Animation) - or, if you have QuickTime Pro, load your rendered file into that and export using Animation, then import that into Media 100.

Good luck.

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:35:41 pm

I can't remember all the details of my set-up at the time but before upgrading to HDe I used to have a problem with importing files from After Effects rendered with the Media 100 codec - it was a known bug. The work-around was to render using the Animation codec and then import that file into Media 100. Of course it wasn't a quick import and the file had to be transcoded, but it worked. Give it a try.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:56:00 pm

[Matt] "Importing into M100i with quick import. Plays well. Looks good. Clips arranged in a and B video tracks. Arrows apply normally from timeline. As soon as I try to apply a transition from the edit suite, M100i crashes. "

Does that only happen with your rendered clips? Or do all transition crash the system. I don

Return to posts index

MattRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:14:51 pm

It only happens with imported AE files, rendered as "native" M100i files. If M100 creates the file, "importing NTSC track filename.mov", it's fine. Media Digitized by M100 is fine.

Thanks for telling me what M100 expects. I checked my manuals before I posted and no mention of straight vs premultiplied channel.

What about Boris FX and Graffiti? Under the local project tab in graffiti I see preferences for straight, premult with white, premult with black, composite over black/white. Does this only affect the output of the graffiti file or does it also affect the compositing of the finished file to the timeline?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:31:00 pm

[Matt] "It only happens with imported AE files, rendered as "native" M100i files. If M100 creates the file, "importing NTSC track filename.mov", it's fine. Media Digitized by M100 is fine. "

Then you should give it a try rendering in Media 100 i codec (not lossless), and limiting the data rate to 6000k/sec.

[Matt] "Under the local project tab in graffiti I see preferences for straight, premult with white, premult with black, composite over black/white. Does this only affect the output of the graffiti file or does it also affect the compositing of the finished file to the timeline? "

This does not affect Graffiti in combination with Media 100 i.

Return to posts index

MattRe: M100 8.2.3a- What alpha channel from AE?
by on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:53:56 pm

Thanks for the quick help here guys. I've got about 300 comps to re-output for this project. Based on your suggested settings, I'm doing a few to test before I do the whole lot.

I'm going with the no alpha premult for these files, and have edited my 2nd module to alpha-straight to use for graphics with transparency.

Thanks again!

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]