MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

video from drive....

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DouglasC.
video from drive....
on Sep 27, 2007 at 4:23:39 pm

I need to import media from a hard drive that my customer sent me but question whether it's the route to go. If I ever need to re-digitize the project, I'll need it off a tape correct? There is no way to even go to hi-res from draft mode, I'd need it off a tape correct? (Unless I edit it in hi-rez now...) I'm thinking I need to get it to tape then create an import log and digitize it, then edit, right?

I've done only from tape except the odd clip here and there which I knew I could re-edit in if I ever had to recreate things but this show has about 20% from B-roll from a customer (it's a 70 minute show)..

Any answers or help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jim Calahan
Re: video from drive....
on Sep 29, 2007 at 4:27:01 pm

What format is the video in? Drives are large enough now we hardly ever do any actual editing in low-rez or offline quality. With P2 and the other tapeless formats it's become a fact of life that you need some sort of datatape backup from here on out.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

DouglasC.
on Oct 1, 2007 at 3:15:11 pm

Thanks for your reply Jim. Are you saying you just archive your entire P2 drive to tape backup and then move the media back and relink if you ever need to recreate a show?

The files are .avi's in DV codec off a PC out of Premiere Pro put onto a Lacie and sent to me to insert. I do instructional videos and have 2 70 min shows on 160 Gig drives (my old arrays) that have few hours on them hence my resistance to buy new ones. I'm wondering about the process more than anything else......

Return to posts index

Jim Calahan
on Oct 1, 2007 at 3:54:10 pm

Hi Douglas,
LTO data tape, or HD DVDs or some other archive media. Not videotape, some format that keeps the metadata intact so the files will reconnect or import etc.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]