MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

firewire monitoring artifacts

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mfgangfirewire monitoring artifacts
by on Sep 24, 2007 at 6:04:26 pm

I'm using firewire via a video camera to monitor video from Producer on an SD CRT monitor. Everything is fine except that anytime I use moving graphics that were rendered in after effects I get white moving blocks that trail the move. These blocks don't show up on the computer monitor or in the LCD of the camera and when I burn the project to DVD and play it on a CRT monitor it's fine. I tried it in 2 different cameras (one consumer and one pro) and also tried composite in addition to the s-video.

My question is, is this a known firewire problem? Would buying a digital to analog converter, like one of the Canopus boxes solve the problem? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: firewire monitoring artifacts
by on Sep 26, 2007 at 3:45:53 pm

AH! I've seen this before - I'll bet you've rendered to the animation codec using the default settings. You need to specify using an 'i' or keyframe (I forget the exact terminology) frame every '1' frame, I think the default for animation codec is every 10 to 15 frames.

I also believe if you force render the graphic in m100, that issue will go away.

HTH
A.D.

Return to posts index

mfgangRe: firewire monitoring artifacts
by on Sep 26, 2007 at 3:55:33 pm

Thanks Arthur but unfortunately that's not the answer. I actually rendered it with the media 100 lossless codec. As I mentioned it only shows up on my CRT monitor when I'm viewing it via firewire through a VX-1000 which leads me to believe it's a firewire issue. After I burn it to DVD or output it to tape it looks fine, but obviously not being able to use an external monitor is problematic.

I just want to know if a digital to analog converter will solve the problem before I go out and buy one.

Thanks much for trying though.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: firewire monitoring artifacts
by on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:03:05 pm

HMM... What version of Producer are you using? I do recall a bug in v11.5 where a real-time draft mode setting would reset back to draft mode any time you opened the media destinations preference, that got fixed in 11.5.1 tho...

A.D.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:11:17 pm

Eureka! While your answer didn't solve the problem it did strike a chord with me. I realized that by viewing via firewire I was effectively using the DV codec. I tried rendering the animation using the DV/DVCPRO codec in AE and bingo, success!

The problem only presents itself on fast lateral moves but apparently it has something to do with the media100 codec being converted to DV during the firewire transfer.

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone who's experienced this annoyance.

Thanks again for your help.

m

Return to posts index

FlohRe: firewire monitoring artifacts
by on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:16:28 pm

[mfgang] "The problem only presents itself on fast lateral moves but apparently it has something to do with the media100 codec being converted to DV during the firewire transfer. "

If that solved your problem you should do one additional test: In the "Project Settings->Codecs", make sure that the first codec (Acquire, Import and FireWire Output) is set to the system you are using, e.g. DV if you use a DV camera. This setting defines what is sent over Firewire, like DV, DVCPro,...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:22:58 pm

Yes, that's the root of it. In order to view on a monitor via firewire the codec has to be set to DV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]