MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Voiceovers & commentary in Version 12

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ajmetz
Voiceovers & commentary in Version 12
on Sep 21, 2007 at 6:35:34 am

Hi,
I'm still on 7.5 but always looking forwards to having enough money to finally upgrade. But just wondered if the latest M100s have any audio dub facilities? That is, to play a video from the timeline and record audio into a spare track on that timeline at the same time?

At the moment, for voiceovers, I play the video, and record the audio onto my camera. Then I digitise the audio from my camera and re-align it.

Do the new M100s allow for audio dubbing, or voice over - i.e. play and record at the same time?
Or "full duplex" as its called in audio sequencers?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Voiceovers & commentary in Version 12
on Sep 21, 2007 at 10:06:20 am

Ajmetz, I know I'm not answering your question but surely it is preferable to continue with your current method because then you can record it all, not worry about fluffs, retakes, coughs etc and edit the narration properly on the timeline and make sure you are happy with the sync all in one operation. Not wishing to interfere with your editing preferences!

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 21, 2007 at 11:25:29 am

=P Even with my current method, there are plenty of fluffs, coughs, and retakes. Lol. ^_^.

I currently record on cam, to a looped range, waving my hand infront of the camera between each take, then listen back to them all whilst it's digitising, typing notes as to which sounds best. Then take 'em out of the bin, chop 'em up, get it down to about 3 of the good ones, and play 'em in succession to see which one sounds the best, then drop it into the timeline.

Meh...maybe it is better, but, I remember when I first went to do a voiceover, was just shocked there wasn't a dub feature in 7.5, and wonder if that was addressed in any of the later versions?

Would be nice to record it straight into the system, rather than to tape first.

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
on Sep 21, 2007 at 5:03:33 pm

Hi!

Just out of curiosity: which systems or software packages/capture cards do support this feature?

Thanks.

Jj

Media 100 XR v8.2
G4 dual 1.25, 2GB RAM
MacOS 10.2.8
Dual Monitor, Wacom Tablet
144 GB SCSI-160 RAID, ATTO UL4D
240 GB ATA Internal
1.5 TB External Firewire 800

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 21, 2007 at 7:18:25 pm

Since I've only ever really used Media100, I'm not sure.
But I thought my lady friend Martina spied a microphone button in iMovie '08, and went: "Oooh..voiceover!". We haven't used it yet, so dunno if it works like dubbing over, or simply digitises conventionally from the mic input.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2007 at 12:54:35 am

Final Cut allows you to record into the timeline. It works great when you are adding a second language like Spanish.

Return to posts index

tankboy
on Sep 23, 2007 at 6:25:12 am

Ajmetz

are you using a system with Kona set up or some kind of in/out box? If so, you can go into that and digitise your audio on the fly without having to record it to your camera first.

I do that with a mic (in a Voice over Booth) then into a mixer. It digitises straight into a bin in M100 and I just delete what I don't like as I go.

Saves heaps of time. But I'm not aware of any system that'll let you playback from a timeline and digitise at the same time. But I could be wrong about that.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 23, 2007 at 7:31:54 am

Hi, yeah, I have a BOB (the one for the P6000), so I can digitise audio straight in.
In fact I did as much recently, for a couple of short two words that needed redoing, but for the majority of my stuff, I need to ensure it fits the timing of the edit on screen, and sits well with the background music, so it's preferable to record whilst the rest is playing. Again, I do this by playing a range on the M100 timeline (often looped to enable multiple takes) and record my voice to tape,
but since seeing the voiceover option in iMovie, which does appear to let you play and record voiceover at the same time, I thought to ask if any similar feature had been included in any of the more recent M100s? From the lack of a direct answer, I'm guessing that it hasn't.
As also pointed out, recording to tape first might actually be a more professional workflow than using any iMovie-esque feature. But since I do a lot of voiceover, it's just something that would have been cool to have. ^_^, and I just thought I'd ask if it was part of the modern M100 setup, incase it was introduced ages ago in v8.2 and I still didn't know. Lol. Am using 7.5 and there have been a lot of improvements since then I'm sure! ^_^.

Having said that, I think the team have done really well to update the software, get it running on AJA, get it running on Intel Macs, adding support for popular formats, integrating Boris FX, etc...wil be interesting to see what they've got up their sleeves next. =)

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:20:27 am

[Ajmetz] "Having said that, I think the team have done really well to update the software, get it running on AJA, get it running on Intel Macs, adding support for popular formats, integrating Boris FX, etc...wil be interesting to see what they've got up their sleeves next. =) "

You are right, audio voiceover to the timeline is not a part of the current Media 100 software, but unlike with the P6000 hardware it would be possible with todays Aja hardware.
And I think what the engineers will implement next depends on what users are asking for. I think it is very helpful for the Media 100 team if you (and all users) provide feedback by posting their thoughts here, sending e-mails to Media 100 and by visiting and talking to them on tradeshows like NAB and IBC. Tell hem what you need.

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on Sep 24, 2007 at 7:37:24 am

Yeesh,

Everybody wants every feature in every application....(hey developers take a look at my list while you are at it!)

Audio has always been a little weak on Media100. No offense to those who a religous about m100...but its the truth. (HERE's my list Floh: no 3rd party audio control surface support (come on HUI has been a standard for years now!), no plugin support, no time-stretch/remapping ability, etc.)

When we need a VO "read" into the timeline...we simply export a reference movie of our Media100 timeline and open it in either Pro Tools or MOTU (Digital Performer). WE use the audio capabilities there...as they are vastly superior to those in the Media100. Sorry to say..but its true.

We simply open the movie (within one of the two audio apps) and record our VO's. Clean up, retime, add effects/master, etc. and then export the voice tracks (bounce) to an AIFF file and re-import into the Media100.
Works just as well.
Regards
-P

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 24, 2007 at 8:50:55 am

Yeesh,

Everybody wants every feature in every application....

Ahhhyes! I was a little fan boy, and wrote my own wish list. ^_^ Pathetic aren't I? Teehee... Appeasement never works, the consumer will always want more.;-) It's like democracy...if you listen to the voters too often, you'd be in a right mess. ^_^ "Propaganda is to democracy what the bludgeon is to the totalitarian state"...better to decide what people ought to have, and then swing public opinion behind it. ;-)

HERE's my list Floh: no 3rd party audio control surface support (come on HUI has been a standard for years now!), no plugin support, no time-stretch/remapping ability, etc.)

Oooh...time stretch sounds good. ^_^

When we need a VO "read" into the timeline...we simply export a reference movie of our Media100 timeline and open it in either Pro Tools or MOTU (Digital Performer).

Ahh! I have a very old version of Pro Tools in OS9, that came with the machine, but have never used it. I know some audio engineers who have gone from Logic Pro to Pro Tools for their professional work, so I hear its top class stuff. It never crossed my mind you could import video though.
I'll have to see if my ancient version supports that at all...or if it's just the recent versions.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 24, 2007 at 6:15:43 pm

Yeah, cool, I can import M100 movies into Pro Tools. ^_^

It's only Pro Tools 5.0.1 FREE that I've got,so, meh. =P
But...! You discover something new everyday. ^_^ Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
My 'ickle wish list then...
on Sep 24, 2007 at 8:43:20 am

Oooh...my wish list then.^_^:

HDV support through firewire.
So a laptop, a Sony Z1, and a copy of Producer is all you really need. ;)

Colour wheels!
To enable us to emulate the stylistic colour correction so often used in Final Cut Pro.

Compositions as clips!
A little tick box to treat composition clips as regular video clips or not - thus you can trim and cut 'em without unrendering everything. Usually I always import the HAL clip to the bin to do this, but it would be nice to have the option in the programme to turn a blue clip green to work with, without having to go to the import settings each time, which a novice user might not realise you can do. ^_^
[Or you could do an After Effects style "Import Render to Bin" option, so it not only renders the blue composition clip in the timeline, but auto-imports the HAL clip as a green videoclip in the bin for you to work with that as well, if you wish...that would probably be an easier feature to implement].

Optional Voiceover Options:
Extra options to make voiceovers easier. (Like, select a range, loop it, hit record, and be able to play the range on loop whilst recording a voice over via either mic or firewire/BOB input device[camera or deck, etc] straight in, and have each take from each iteration of the loop saved as a clip to the bin automatically. ^_^). Touch

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: My 'ickle wish list then...
on Sep 24, 2007 at 8:00:59 pm

As Floh suggested I mailed a wish list direct to customerservice.com and it came back "server unknown". So I'll say it here. Can we expect Media 100 to support XDCAM Ex files in the near future? This camera is going to blow HDV out of the water with bigger chips, proper lens and no moving patrs, just Express cards which will be much cheaper than the P2's. The compression will still be MPEG2 but apparently without the disadvantages of HDV. Anyhow the camera is well covered on loads of sites now.
I know Media 100 have referred us to a free software download and a Tutorial for getting XDCAM files into Media 100 but I don't know if this works for the new Ex files and in any case we will need to edit this media in the normal way and full support will be appreciated.

Also of course, for those of us who have only recently bought the early Mac G5's (pre intel), we need all this support and updating to work with our HDx boards.

Any word from the guys (gals also?) at Media 100 (who I worship) would be great.

Return to posts index

David C.
Re: My 'ickle wish list then...
on Sep 26, 2007 at 6:56:42 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I have been following this thread but haven't had a chance to respond. We've been buttoning up Version 12 and a small update to Version 11.6.3. Look for those in the next few days.

You can send requests to customerservice@media100.com or askthepm@media100.com. The "ask" address is best for feature requests.

As for XDCam in general. It's on our list to look at in the future. We had some good meetings with Sony at NAB and IBC and that will help us with development if we decide to go forward with supporting XDCam.

These lists are fine and we encourage them as it provides us with direction on what we need to do in the next release. For now, let's support Media 100 by considering an upgrade to Version 12! You've been asking for progressive support and it's here!

Dave

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]