MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Digitizing via firewire

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukkee
Digitizing via firewire
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:24:49 pm

Hi all,
I have logged my footage and did the redigitize selected, selecting the bins. Having gotten about two thirds the way through the media100 HD 11.5 quit giving a drive error. There is about 115 gigs of space on our Huge 1.2 terrabyte raid. It then said no firewire device found. It has since given up on seeing the deck! Any ideas? There is no broken timecode. Although I am digitizing "drop frame", I notice it gives the "non drop frame" icon and says same in the digitizing window. I have done the preference/restart route with no success. In the device selection it says something about wrong dv codec. I am using the Media100i codec at 80kb for offline with the aspect at 16 x 9. My footage is HDV and the deck is the Sony HVR10MU connected via firewire. I am using the original Media100 HDX boardset, HD Suite.
Thanks,
lc

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Digitizing via firewire
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:50:54 pm

Firstly what are you doing to the HDV footage? Presumably you are converting it to DV from the deck because obviously Media 100 won't recognize it as HDV. Secondly I find that even with big drive capacity (I have 5tbs, they don't like getting more than 80% full. There are so many settings that have to be correctly set for firewire acquiring and you have to experiment and go through them all many times sometimes to get the combination exactly right.

Return to posts index

Lukkee
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:58:01 pm

Hi Micheal,
Yes, the footage is being down converted by the deck to dv. The strange thing though is why should the digitizing process stop and something change without touching the system? It was about two thirds the way through the tape when this happened so the settings must have been right to begin with...
lc

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 19, 2007 at 3:03:05 pm

Now there have been quite a few posts recently on this subject because some people (me included) have complained that Media 100 won't recognize the HDV deck through firewire. Floh however has posted that they never have had this problem. Why your trouble should be intermitent I can't think.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:18:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I too have had problems with this deck, though the reverse of what has happened to you. For me M100 wouldn't recognise the deck properly at all, but then suddenly (and only after the hire company had biked a replacement deck to me) it did. I could then use that deck, but not the replacement. Bizarre!

You seem to have to catch it at the right time (I'm guessing it has something to do with the polling cycle maybe?) and once the machine control setting has captured the deck successfully again you are generally OK.

The M25 deck though causes none of these problems. Perhaps Sony updated the chipset in them.

Not much of help there, but at least you are not alone!

K

Return to posts index

Lukkee
Re: Digitizing via firewire, any solutions?
on Sep 21, 2007 at 2:16:57 am

I guess I have to stay away from that deck! We do have a 25MU but at another location so will have to work it out. For the time being we are digitizing on our 8.2i system to transfer to the HD suite for editing. Guess I will have to find a solution for on-lining.
Thanks
lc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]