MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Using FCP and M100HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
ventureforth
Using FCP and M100HD
on Sep 11, 2007 at 7:41:55 pm

I have a question for you intelligent folk who know way more than I do. Upon reading forums and doing some research, I understand that the Media100HD can use media captured in FCP. It also my understanding that the process does no work in reverse. But here is my questions:

Is there a simple and reliable way to capture footage in FCP, cut it on the Media100HD, but then still be able to deliver a FCP sequence to clients? A lot of my clients like to walk away with a drive array that has all of the media and project files readily accessible, and they often want it in FCP for many obvious reasons. Am I limited to working in FCP (not that I am not a fan of FCP and use it quite often) in these situations, or is there a solution? These would be for offline edits, predominantly.

Is this an absurd question? Have any of you had experience or the need to do the very same thing?

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Using FCP and M100HD
by
on Sep 11, 2007 at 8:39:31 pm

[ventureforth] "Upon reading forums and doing some research, I understand that the Media100HD can use media captured in FCP. It also my understanding that the process does no work in reverse"

Media 100 can use a wide range of Codecs in realtime natively, including several codecs that can be used by FCP. So if you are working in DV, DVCPro50, ProRes, Uncompressed,... these files can be read both by FCP and Media 100 in realtime without any transcoding.
Additionally, if you export something out from Media 100, like a self-contained ProRes file (or whatever codec you chose in Media 100 or FCP), FCP will be able to play that in Realtime.
But currently there is no way to exchange timelines with the associated media between FCP and Media 100, which means you cannot open a FCP timeline in Media 100 and you cannot open a Media 100 timeline in FCP if that is what you want to do.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Sep 12, 2007 at 5:53:05 am

=P Not even with Print to EDL?

I tried that once with a Media100i system. The timeline came up in Final Cut Pro, but none of the media was present. Doh!
And we couldn't figure out how to relink the media.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 12, 2007 at 7:46:11 am

[Ajmetz] "And we couldn't figure out how to relink the media.
"

That is because it is not possible to do it.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Sep 12, 2007 at 8:33:21 am

You always have to redigitize the media when importing an EDL.

Return to posts index

ventureforth
on Sep 12, 2007 at 3:15:55 pm

Even if the media was originally captured in FCP? As long as the tape names and source timecode stay the same, wouldn't the EDL be able to reference the media already captured in the FCP bins? There should be some workaround. Of course, what we need is Automatic Duck support or something like it.

On a side note, any of you using your M100HD in a dual-boot configuration with FCP? Is the capture card that comes with the HDe basically just an AJA LHe with different drivers?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 12, 2007 at 3:19:13 pm

[ventureforth] "As long as the tape names and source timecode stay the same, wouldn't the EDL be able to reference the media already captured in the FCP bins?"

No.

[ventureforth] "any of you using your M100HD in a dual-boot configuration with FCP? Is the capture card that comes with the HDe basically just an AJA LHe with different drivers? "

Yes and yes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]