MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Newb Frame Size Question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick MacadamiaNewb Frame Size Question
by on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:54:17 pm

I have a client in the process of converting their edit systems from Media100 to Final Cut Pro. They still use one Media100, version 8 I believe. The frame size they edit on their Media100 system is 640X480. I'm shooting video for them with an HDV camera which has a frame size of 720X486.

I don't know what happens when one tries to digitize footage of one frame size into an edit system that uses a different frame size. Is there any way that my HDV footage can be used by their Media100 system?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Newb Frame Size Question
by on Sep 2, 2007 at 10:34:06 am

If you go into the system via analog inputs (e.g. via the Component in) you can acquire into 640*480. If your client has a Media 100 system based on a P6000 board, he should work in 720*486, though.
And I would suggest that your client looks into the new Media 100 offers based on the Aja Kona boards. You get the best of both worlds, you can work in Media 100 and in FCP with the same hardware, so it would be easy to decide which system is best for a given job. FCP is not the solution to all problems in the video editing world, especially if your client has a lot of legacy projects and media files. In the Aja-based Media 100 systems you can mix your old 640 and new 720 footage on the same timeline, for example.

Return to posts index

Rick MacadamiaRe: Newb Frame Size Question
by on Sep 3, 2007 at 5:18:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply to my question. I'll investigate my client's Media100 setup more thoroughly. And, for what it's worth, I agree with you that "FCP is not the solution to all problems in the video editing world". Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved