MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Is M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby MVIs M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 6:55:57 pm

i have a project that used the media100HD 10-bit SD codec. will compressor handle the colorspace just like DV/DVCPRO/50?

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattleRe: Is M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?
by on Aug 28, 2007 at 6:50:15 pm

I am assuming that you are trying to assure your color correction, etc does not experience a Gamma shift during the encoding/conversion process to another codec?

This is just off the top of my head and I will do my best to verify this for you shortly.

From an anal-retentive scientific point of view....the DV/DVCPRO/DVCPRO 50 codecs are obviously different in nature than the Uncompressed codecs. (By virtue that they are COMPRESSED data.) Colorspace handling should always be slightly different simply due to the nature of a compression/decompression cycle. (Perceptible/measurable or not by the laws of math and physics...there will be slight differences even if it is the same footage.)

From PAST EXPERIENCE I would venture to say:

The Media100 codec (10-bit) should be handled much like the 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 or the Blackmagic 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 in any thrid party program. They are essentially similar data and the quicktime wrapper is very similar. No value shifts during compression/recompression cycles/CODEC issues to worry about since it is UC data.

Again, I stress should be---and I will attempt to verify.

All that science stuff stated. My simple opinion is that your 10-bit Media100 SD stuff will look a (little, tiny little bit) better after compression than DV/DVCPRO/DVCPRO50. You should not experience any unwanted shifts, etc. Again, this has a lot to do with the compressor preset you are using...but I think you get my point.

That stated: I think THIS is what you were probably worried about:

The older Media100i codec WOULD (and still will if you use it)cause you some problems with Gamma shifts...as it is an older codec and does not handle colorsapace issues between 3rd party applications very well.
(Unwanted Gamma shifts due to 0-255 vs. 16-235 issues. This is why we now have the "...Expand 601 levels..." option in After Effects. Checking this in 'clip properties' helps compensate for 'older' codecs.)

Simply stated (or an OVERSIMPLIFACTION actually) the codec is not as 'smart' as some of the newer ones. (Super-dweeby Tech-types feel free to pick that analogy apart...I know that analogy ruffled at least one person's technical 'fur' out there.)

Ok all that stated.

Simple answer. Try it. It should look great.

If it doesn't, e-mail us here. Someone will suggest a better set of settings.

(Ok, most of that makes sense...I need coffee.....)

Regards,

-Punit

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Is M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?
by on Aug 28, 2007 at 7:09:42 pm

[HolyCowSeattle] "The Media100 codec (10-bit) should be handled much like the 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 or the Blackmagic 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 in any thrid party program. They are essentially similar data and the quicktime wrapper is very similar. No value shifts during compression/recompression cycles/CODEC issues to worry about since it is UC data."

Unfortunately this is not correct. The Media 100 codecs (as well as the Blackmagic,...) are stored in YUV format. For AE and other QuickTime applications they have to be translated to RGB, and that

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattleRe: Is M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?
by on Aug 28, 2007 at 8:02:54 pm

Thanks...I suspected I was forgetting something critical.....
(Didn't get my coffee early enough today...)

Regards,
-P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]