MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

When to buy?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinWhen to buy?
by on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:10:50 pm

Hi All

I'm going to be ready to upgrade from M100i to HDe in around 3 months but I could delay by a month or 2 if it meant getting latest gen hardware etc. I'm thinking by then the system might be:

M100 V12
OSX Leopard
New 8 core Mac with the latest processors (Penryn 45nm - faster, cooler and use less power apparently?)
Kona 3 or maybe Kona are developing the successor to the 3 card?

Any views on if the above is likely and what chance it will all work together without issues?

Thanks i advance

Andy


Return to posts index

FlohRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:11:27 pm

Leopard is said to be shipping in October, and from what I read on the Media 100 homepage V12 will be there also.
I think nobody can tell when new Macs are shipping, but I would guess that we will see a refresh (but most likely without big GHz jumps) sometimes between now and October.
If Aja is working on a new card I would expect them to show it at IBC (September). So I would think that October would be an excellent time to buy a new system.


Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:38:53 am

Any time is a great time to buy into M100/Macpro. I have a stunning system using 8 core 3.0Ghz unit with 4Gb RAM & 1TB Lacie FW800. 11.6.3 HDe runs first class.

Don't forget to add PS CS3 & AE CS3 for value adding.

What video format do you intend working with?


Return to posts index


jimbrodietest
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:10:25 am

test


Return to posts index

jimbrodieRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:22:08 am

I've just bought an HDe system and a new 3gig x 8. I'm still trying to sort out what is the best & economical storage option to go with for uncompressed HD.
I've found the Dulce SATA raid systems very interesting and Bob Zelin has raved about them in his article. Any suggestions from the trenches on what solutions are working for them?


Return to posts index

FlohRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:26:18 am

[jimbrodie] "I've just bought an HDe system and a new 3gig x 8. I'm still trying to sort out what is the best & economical storage option to go with for uncompressed HD.
"


I think you should figure out if you really need/want to work in Uncompressed HD. I think for most purposes a form of compressed HD (depending on what you want to do) is a much better price/performance choice. If you really need uncompressed HD you should be ready to make some serious investments into either FibreChannel or heavy SATA arrays.


Return to posts index


MichaelRRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:16:18 pm

"If you really need uncompressed HD you should be ready to make some serious investments into either FibreChannel or heavy SATA arrays."

Has anyone tried running Media 100 in HD using a RAID based on the internal storage available on the new Macs?
Couldn't you just put three 750GB SATA discs inside the Mac and stripe them together, separate from the system drive?

I asked the guys at the Media 100 booth this at NAB, and they said they had never tried it. It sure would be more economical than external arrays.


Return to posts index

FlohRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:31:45 pm

[MichaelR] "Has anyone tried running Media 100 in HD using a RAID based on the internal storage available on the new Macs?
Couldn't you just put three 750GB SATA discs inside the Mac and stripe them together, separate from the system drive?"


I have tried it for some tests, but of course you don


Return to posts index

pythonianRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 30, 2007 at 6:01:50 am

check with Caldigit's latest product, HDpro. it's faster and cheaper.


Return to posts index


Andy TaplinRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 12:39:42 pm

It'll be mostly SD for a least a year or two but then more HD I hope.

I've got AFX CS3 and GridIron Nucleo Pro so I'm expecting real-time renders for most AFX comps with an 8 core Mac and plenty of RAM?


Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: When to buy?
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 12:37:00 pm

Thanks,

I'm sure that's right - I just don't want to buy and then be a generation behind almost immediately! Although the current hardware is plenty good enough and way better than my current system so i guess it does not matter - may as well wait for M100 12 and Leopard though.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]