MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

XDCAM HD downconversion

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SheeploveXDCAM HD downconversion
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 3:32:34 pm

Have installed Sony's XDCAM transfer software & XDCAM codecs - all working well. But when I conform the HD clips in Media 100 to SD (tried all codecs,& scaling options) the result is very poor. Image looks un-aliased & is soft?
Anyone have good or bad experiences with HD downconversion in Media 100? Or am I the only unlucky one!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.4.10, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V11.6 & Producer, AE 7
3.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

FlohRe: XDCAM HD downconversion
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 4:28:25 pm

I am not really sure what you are seeing. Do you import HD clips which are fine, and downconvert them in Media 100 HD? Or do you try to import HD clips directly as SD files?
In our experiences the Media 100 up- and downconversion inside the application (both via hardware and via the conform commands) is great. I have to admit that we only tested with PAL footage, but I would expect NTSC to be good also.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: XDCAM HD downconversion
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 5:48:06 pm

Truth be told, I've never been overly impressed with the quality of the conversion via sotware in media 100 - it uses the same scalers as in quick time which is not great.

Couple of suggestions :

Master your HD timeline via HW to SD using the board to do the down convert (and aspect ratio converstion) - this is the fastest and best quality

Use a tool like RED (engine) or AE and to do the scale/conversion - not real time by any stretch, but most likely better quality than the m100 software conform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved