MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

8 Core MacPro more questions...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Mora8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 18, 2007 at 2:24:49 am

Hi!

A month ago I asked about Media 100 v12 compatibility issues with the eight core Apple machines, as I get closer to the moment when I have to take a decision (I want to buy an HDe) more questions arise...

1. It seems that for the US$700 difference between the 4-core and the 8-core machine, it's a no brainer: I should buy the 8-core machine, right?

2. Besides Media100's stability, what about the bundled Boris Suite, does it play nice with the 8-core machine?

3. What about After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator and BitVice?

4. Is the machine control issue with the AJA Card solved? What about the AJA Drivers, are they stable under Media100 and under FCS2 in the 8-core machine?

5. I know that if I wanna run FCS2 in the same machine I must have two different partitions to boot from... assuming I boot from the Media100 partition: can I still run Compressor, DVD StudioPro and Motion? Or they only run under the FCS2 partition?

6. How much RAM to have Media100 12 HDe happy?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your advice guys.

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

FlohRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 18, 2007 at 10:35:14 am

[Juanjo Mora] "1. It seems that for the US$700 difference between the 4-core and the 8-core machine, it's a no brainer: I should buy the 8-core machine, right?"

This depends on what you want to do with the system. Currently the benefits of the 8core vs 4core are not that huge, since partially the OS and the developer tools are slowing some things down. OSX 10.5 is said to make better use of more CPUs, and should result in speed gains. Additionally I would expect V12 to also get more multi-CPU optimization. Don

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 18, 2007 at 10:56:08 am

My opinions:
1. If you think the price difference is minimal, I'd say go for it.

2. They run and are stable. I don't know if they care that you have 8 processors.

4. It's fixed in 11.6.3

5. They should work in both.

6. 2GB is required, more is better of course, I'd say 6GB is the point where you'd start to get diminishing returns for adding more. But as with question 1, if you're going for it, load it up. And then invite me over to drool :-)

Return to posts index

Juanjo MoraRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 3:57:04 pm

Floh and SoftHarbor:

Thanks for your quick and insightful answers!

Another two questions (if you don

Return to posts index

FlohRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 4:05:19 pm

[Juanjo Mora] "a. Are you using the apple video monitors or another brand? In which configuration: one head two heads? Which video card?"

We use mostly 23" Apple Cinema displays in a 2 screen config. And we use the X1900XT cards on all our Intel systems.

[Juanjo Mora] "b. What kind of disks are you using for HD recording and playback?"

Various FibreChannel drives. XServe RAIDs and Infortrend Arrays.

Return to posts index

Juanjo MoraRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 4:24:18 pm

Thanks Floh!

So, you would say that, for HD, making the investment in FibreChannel is worth it?

Regards...

Jj

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattleRe: 8 Core MacPro more questions...
by on Aug 25, 2007 at 5:51:37 pm

Just my little tidbit.

We have discovered over the years that the TOP/TOP/TOP Apple machine is not always the most compatible/stable with 3rd party cardsets.
Now before everyone gets their fur all ruffled...Apple makes great machines...and all the manufacturers we work with make great products.
We swear by the products we use....however...over the past decade we have had fewer long-term issues with HW/SW compatability/Crashes, etc when we bought the (next to top of the line) machine as opposed to the (top of the line/fastest, etc.)

We typically buy the MOR (middle of road) machine and have fewer issues with hardware compatability.

We ARE currently using 2 8-core machines with Producer with no ill effects (Our AE workstations). But we keep all our current video hardware in the 4 core (2.66 and 3.0) machines.)

Regards
-P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]