MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Field dominance, gamma etc in DVCPro codec

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran MatthewField dominance, gamma etc in DVCPro codec
by on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:22:04 am

Hi all,

I'm doing my first serious job with my Intel HDe, with footage captured over firewire into the DVCPro50 codec. I'm in PAL land.

Now this codec is Lower field dominant (as I believe are all DV based codecs) and uses the 0-255 colourspace.

When using the captured media, Media100 is changing the field order and colourspace to Media100's own. When you export it, it reverts to the lowerfield/0-255 of the native codec.

All well and good, but there's a snag. If you use Boris (as I do extensively) setting the tracks to movie or bin browser brings the footage in as codec native i.e. too dark/contrasty and with the wrong field order. You have to apply a gamma/levels shift to utilise the footage. What's more, the footage has undergone two field swaps leaving you with unsightly wobbly lines at the top and bottom of the screen.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Can Media 100 be set to just go with 0-255 lower field right through?

The impact on my workflow is going to interesting to say the least.

Yours, worried

Return to posts index

Felix HalterRe: Field dominance, gamma etc in DVCPro codec
by on Jul 25, 2007 at 4:11:58 pm

Same thing here. Even though I acquire from a DVCPRO50 Deck I have gone back to the media100LL codec just for that reason not finding a workaround for the dark movie imports in Boris.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Field dominance, gamma etc in DVCPro codec
by on Jul 25, 2007 at 4:29:09 pm

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the response. Bunging a levels/gamma shift on the track sorts the range problem, but the fields issue is worrying as it leaves its mark on the quality of the image.

Oh for the simple days of Media 100i - one codec, one standard, no worries ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved