MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

More money than sense - a nostalgic idea.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ajmetz
More money than sense - a nostalgic idea.
on Jul 22, 2007 at 10:54:07 am

You may have read about my Cleaner problems a few posts back.

Seems Cleaner is just sitting under Autodesk's wing, with sod all improvements being made, even though the programme crashing after every first encode with the latest OSX and Quicktime seems a common enough problem.

Wouldn't it be lovely if BorisFX bought Cleaner too, and integrated Cleaner, Media100, and RED into one seamless programme. ^_^ Ahhh....

...now I know I'm getting nostalgic...

Am amazed that for all Cleaner's batch processing, you still have to manually add each file, and select a setting for it. =P How mundane. If only I could programme a batch file like in MS-DOS. Ah. But you don't get DOS on an Apple Mac. =P
iKeys could be the answer.

But yeah, Cleaner needs automated adding of files and a number of bug fixes.

It's amazing to see all these improvements to Media100 happening so fast, ^_^, and a shame to see Cleaner just sitting there languishing.

Return to posts index

Sheeplove
Re: More money than sense - a nostalgic idea.
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:26:32 am

I'm also fed up with waiting for Autodesk to update Cleaner. Perhaps users could encourage them to do something at IBC? Or bombard their support department with emails...

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.4.10, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V11.6 & Producer, AE 7
3.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:02:42 pm

Actually, ^_^, I think Autodesk are gonna be at the Develop Conference in Brighton this week, due to 3DStudioMax or whatever they do, so I can probably try and mention it, as I'll be attending Tuesday and Wednesday, although it'll probably be the wrong division that'll be there. =P.

Email bombardment sounds good...we ought to time it all at once.
How many have we got up for it so far? Everyone in this thread?
Right.
That's four people then.
=P Not exactly a bombardment, but better than nothing....

Although the real reason for having "More money than sense" in the subject heading, was to wonder if Boris were gonna splash out, and buy it off of Autodesk? Lol. ^_^ That'd be nostalgic.
Although probably not the most practical thing to do, as it is languishing a bit, and being overtaken by rival products.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:03:04 pm

[Ajmetz] "Although the real reason for having "More money than sense" in the subject heading, was to wonder if Boris were gonna splash out, and buy it off of Autodesk? Lol. ^_^ That'd be nostalgic.
Although probably not the most practical thing to do, as it is languishing a bit, and being overtaken by rival products."

Nah, better they consider buying bitvice. Then Media 100 could be a complete integrated DVD solution.

K

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:07:30 pm

Woah! And they'd have access to all those exclusive patents! O_O.

Yes, BitVice wouldn't have the nostalgia value, but would definitely be a wise buy. ^_^

I'll go tip off the Financial Times....;-)

Return to posts index

Nickel
on Jul 23, 2007 at 2:56:09 pm

I've been very happy with Sorenson's Squeeze and haven't used Cleaner in a couple of years. That being said, I don't know what type of encoding you are doing - perhaps Squeeze won't do it.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 23, 2007 at 7:16:38 pm

I know I'm stupid but what is Cleaner meant to do?

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:52:52 pm

Convert videos to Quicktime, Windows Media, Real Media, Flash Video, or MPEG for use on the internet (download or streaming), CD-ROMS, DVDs, and I presume PSPs, Zunes, iPods, etc...

I use Cleaner to convert Media100 files to WMV for posting online.

It was bought up by Media100 during the late 90s, when Media100 started targeting all the websites to use Media100 for internet videos. As such, things like Media100i's EventStream work with Cleaner, and Cleaner is setup to deinterlace Media100 videos when encoding them for web. [Something Flash Video Encoder doesn't necessarily do by default].

But, I get the impression from others that programmes such as Episode and Compressor have pretty much taken over from Cleaner nowerdays.
And in order to get my Cleaner working well, I've had to create a boot disk that boots in OSX Panther with Quicktime 6.3, since it kept crashing in OSX Tiger with Quicktime 7.1 =/, so it's badly in need of some simple bug fixes. Although I do only have Cleaner 6.01, and I think Autodesk are selling Cleaner 6.5 atm, which may be slightly better.

When M100 started doing badly, they sold Cleaner to Discreet, and nowerdays its owned by Autodesk, but support's a bit crap.
I think Terran were the original developers before M100 bought them, but, I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:47:25 pm

Hi Ajmetz,

Just FYI, I'm still running Cleaner 5.1.2 under Tiger & QT 7.2 - When I initially upgraded to QT7 I got the crashes everyone reports, but reinstalling the software codecs afterwards (and making sure the hardware codec component was gone) cured it.

I currently use Flip4mac to make WMVs nicer and faster than Cleaner could, and now use compressor for pretty much everything else (since I discovered that Compressor is set to "make everything look sh*t" by default and a few simple tweaks can make its output look great, especially for mpeg1s)

K

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:59:53 pm

Woooooaaaahhhh!
Hang on!
I've got Flip4Mac....I got it when you gave the advice of using it in conjunction with MPEG Streamclip to convert WMVs to M100.
You mean I can use it to make WMVs too?
Is that via the Quicktime Export?
I'm doing a lot atm...we're talking 144 clips at the mo', so it has been handy to have everything listed out in a batch list.
That said, I know you can access all quicktime export formats from Cleaner also.
But short of me experimenting and investigating, any examples of how you use Flip4Mac yourself in your workflow for making WMVs would be appreciated.

Damn, I always feel so ignorant compared to you. Guess I've been solidly editing moreso than exploring the capabilities of my own system.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:57:47 pm

I thought Sorenson was just a codec, I didn't realise they did encoding software too. Atm, my work seems to be going okay with Cleaner in OSX Panther, but it might pay for me to educate myself about other more uptodate encoders out there.
Atm, I'm encoding to WMV for the web, but I experimented briefly with Flash both in Flash Video Encoder, and Cleaner, and found the encoding time for the OnVP6 or whatever it's called, to be stupidly slow on my humble G4, so stuck with Windows Media 7, although someone on the web encoding forum here on Creative Cow has recommended I look into Windows Media 9. But for my current project, Cleaner and Windows Media 7 is serving me fine. =)

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Jul 24, 2007 at 4:37:13 am

flip4mac wmv makes great quality clips with lots of options, you can then use it with compressor to do handle batch lists. i like using cleaner too, its pretty easy to use and can be really efficient.

I've never had bitvice, from what i heard, it rocks , but now you can just work in an apple codec instead of m100i codec in your project and now bam all's good in compressor.

also, there needs to be a way we can batch export timelines from m100. seems so easy and can save a ton of time for various applications. (exporting mxf to AE and rendering from there is a workaround if you're really in a pinch)

Just don't get Episode or Episode Pro... it simply does not work with many and most of the basic codecs like motionjpeg, DV, windows media, and more. it wouldn't even get to the decompression part and not even open the clip. i paid full price for the Episode Pro and asked for my money back. it was awful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]