MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDV on HDe - best codec to use?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran MatthewHDV on HDe - best codec to use?
by on Jul 20, 2007 at 4:34:43 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm still a bit green when it comes to which codec is best for what purpose. I have a project to edit that was shot on HDV. The end product is an SD DVD. I'm hiring in a deck with HDSDI/SDI ports. I have an Intel HDe.

So far so good. The project is SD essentially, but I wouldn't mind capturing the HDV in some sort of HDness to future proof myself. I don't have a drive array that is up to the task of uncompressed HD (I have three 320Gb SATA 3Gbs drives RAIDed together), and am a little unsure of the codec options available.

Given this scenario, what would people suggest for a codec (and settings thereof!) to capture in compressed HD, and to capture in a good quality SD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: HDV on HDe - best codec to use?
by on Jul 20, 2007 at 6:48:41 pm

For HD, you should do a comparison between MJPEGB and DVCProHD. DVCProHD is much more compressed, giving you a lower data rate, but also only 1440*1080 pixels instead of 1920*1080. So you definitely loose some details. MJpegB at a medium quality settings usually gives you results that are not too bad, but of course it depends on your source images. But I would expect Media 100 to support more compressed HD codecs in future releases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved