MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tankboyRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)
by on Jul 19, 2007 at 8:15:09 am

Hi Kieran,

you may remember you posted instructions for using boris fxs for blurs (over faces , logos etc) back in may.

Well that job went away. But I now have call to have a shot at doing it again. Your instructions are nice and clear and all worked really well until it came to rendering the clip - It looked great in the Boris pre-view but for some reason the alpha chanel and blur seems to get lost and it just become the black shape (i imported from photoshop) shape over the top of the image. I've probably forgotten to tick something. Any ideas?

If I can get it going it'd be a great way of doing it, so thanks for that.

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)Correction
by on Jul 19, 2007 at 9:00:06 am

Actually. What I tried when I couldn't get it working was import a movie into another track under the track (with the shape & Blur as per insturctions) to see if that might work. This is when I get the black shape on top of the movie file images - no alpha or opacity blur. This is a bit weird because the shape I created in photo shop is white!

When I do it without the track with the movie file in it. With just a V1 track I get a black screen.

Like I say it all looks prefect in the Boris pre-view.

I'll paste the original instructions below. Just in case Kieran is off-line or there's anyone else that can help - any insight would be greatly appreciate.

Cheers
Tankboy.

Hi Tankboy,

I've just made the effect in FX to see if there was a difference, but (in 6.1) I got it to work OK.

In this case I did the following,

1. Made a new composition above my clip in G1 (or whatever)
2. Edit the composition (FX launches)
3. You should have one video layer set as V1. Create another by "add 3D plane" or command-K. Make sure this is also set to V1
4. Apply basic blur to the topmost layer.

You should now have a completely blurry layer.

5. Create a new layer. Place it at the top
6. Set it to Still Image File and import your shape (from photoshop or whatever)

If you've managed to import it with its alpha channel in place you should now have the shape sitting over the blurry video. If not, try using the "Make Alpha Key" filter from the filter menu. This may well have the effect of making your shape invisible but its mask visible. If that's the case don't worry - we can fix that later

7. Drag this new shape track to the MASK track of the blurry video. (drag it onto the word mask - you'll need to have the drop-down of the track enabled)

Now you should have clean video and blurred video in the shape of your imported shape. If you have it reversed to the way you wanted it (see above) then click the "inverst mask track" button (the one that looks like a red dot in a box next to the "eye" symbol of the mask track). This will reverse the shape.

Let me know if that cures the problem,

K

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)Correction
by on Jul 19, 2007 at 12:57:50 pm

Hi tankboy,

I'm here, but away from my media100, give me half an hour and i'll look into your issue.

In the meantime, could you give the standard run down of your system again? versions etc,

K

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2007 at 9:55:20 pm

Hey Keiran. Thanks for responding.

My system looks something like this...

G5 Quad, Dual boot FCP/M100. Loads of RAM
OSX 10.4.10
M100 HDe v11.5
Boris FX v8

Is this enough info?

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2007 at 2:34:22 pm

Hi Tankboy,

I've just built the effect again in RED4.1 on my Intel HDe with the spline shape and with that shape exported and re-imported as a graphic - all worked as expected.

There have been scattered reports of earlier versions of Boris products not playing well with Media 100 HD and rendering black, but I am assuming that you haven't had problems with Boris FX 8 in other uses?

You could try downloading the trial version of RED4.1 from the Boris website and trying that to see if it is a fundamental software issue or we've missed a setting somewhere.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)Correction
by on Jul 20, 2007 at 11:52:08 pm

On occaision I've had a black render, and found I had some extra track I wasn't using left in there, that didn't look amiss in Boris, but upon rendering would render oblique black, and not let V1 through.

So double check there are no unused layers in Boris, and all the transparency settings for each layer are correct.

But if it's not that, I dunno what else to say, and leave you in Kieran's capable hands. =P

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2007 at 12:52:46 am

Hi Guys. Unfortunately it's not a spare track. But I think I'll try RED as you suggested.

FYI- using an adjustment layer with a mask and blur filter in AE is a pretty efficient way of achieving this as well. It's looks like I'm going to have ALOT of this stuff coming up and I'm trying to find the quickest program at my disposal for doing it.

Cheers
tankboy

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2007 at 3:23:14 am

Hi Tankboy,

Yep, AE'll do it, and very nicely too I'd imagine.

One advantage to the Boris route is you can use it an off-line/on-line workflow. In the last series I did, all the episodes were done in 60k draft with all the tracked blurs in place at approval stage. When sign-off was given, the footage was batched to 360 and the blurs re-rendered automatically.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]