MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Ludite? NOT! Tripped Up, Yes

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Cahill
Ludite? NOT! Tripped Up, Yes
on Jul 1, 2007 at 8:28:22 pm

I really appreciate the comment and the sincere things that have passed by the boards here on this site. I'm, one, well of many, who were early users of M100. It is M100 in the earliest iterations of the software/hardware manifestations that spoke to a certain promise. The bizarre thing is: it worked.

Blame this that or the other thing, I don't know. It's really frustrating. Buying into M100 (03) has turned out to be one of the most expensive and non-productive choices of my career. I'm unhappy, and yet, it persists in my life. Maybe that's what M100 didn't get from the begining, and that's the legacy Artell has to deal with now - because he's always 'been-there.'

Yes, things have moved forward. I simply don't have the money to afford a new system. On the other hand, I can't afford the system I seem to have inherited. The changes in technology I understand - but some clarity of legacy stuff would be clearence stuff at this point in time. It may keep some seat going that have experienced M100 operators. There's really no point in me investing further in the system, after all, there's no jobs out there for M100 operators.

Why am I doing this to myself??????????

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: Ludite? NOT! Tripped Up, Yes
on Jul 2, 2007 at 2:37:32 am

It is M100 in the earliest iterations of the software/hardware manifestations that spoke to a certain promise... Buying into M100 (03) has turned out to be one of the most expensive and non-productive choices of my career.

>>>You mean you bought into it in 2003? Or at version 3? I bought my 7.5 system in 2004 via eBay. Media100 were a mess at that time, and systems were being sold cheap. It was just a great way to get something very professional, dirt cheap, and as a student, that suited me fine.

I'm unhappy, and yet, it persists in my life. Maybe that's what M100 didn't get from the begining, and that's the legacy Artell has to deal with now - because he's always 'been-there.'

>>>>Some of the grammar makes it difficult to tell exactly what you mean.

Yes, things have moved forward. I simply don't have the money to afford a new system. On the other hand, I can't afford the system I seem to have inherited. The changes in technology I understand - but some clarity of legacy stuff would be clearence stuff at this point in time.

>>>Clarity of clearence, what? =P *confused*

It may keep some seat going that have experienced M100 operators.

>>Keeping seats going? Er...what?

There's really no point in me investing further in the system, after all, there's no jobs out there for M100 operators.

>>>Hmm...this is a problem! 'Cos I'm running M100 7.5 now, I do think about upgrading later, and am looking around and seeing everyone using Avid or FCP. Through this board however, I have networked with x3 M100 users I could possibly work with on future projects, but I think I need to see more M100 renaissance ...I do know though, that if I ever commission extra editors myself, M100 is pretty easy for any FCP or AVID user to pick up. I had some students help me last year, and they pretty much got the hang of it within a day. [Having said that, I'm from an entrepreneurial background, so, whilst I sometimes look for M100 users to help on projects, I myself don't expect other people to hire me as a M100 operator...I just work for myself and chose my own tools].

Why am I doing this to myself??????????

>>>It's a love hate relationship isn't it? I find myself looking over all the HDe literature, imagining what my perfect editing setup would be, and then I think - hang on a mo', everyone else is on FCP or Avid, why the f*** am I messing about contemplating upgrading my M100? Thankfully, the issue's a little irrelevant - I don't have the cash to upgrade atm, and my 7.5 system is doing everything I need. So I don't have to worry about it yet. I also have FCP HD which came free on my 2nd hand machine, but, I haven't been bothered to learn to use it.

Try not to torture yourself too much mate, and just make sure you're getting your work done, by whatever means you've got available to you.

Return to posts index

Matt Cahill
Re: Ludite? NOT! Tripped Up, Yes
on Jul 6, 2007 at 8:25:16 pm

It's good counsel, some poeple seem to thrive in this environment, some don't. I look back and, well, you said a lot there that's hard to sum up in experience. M100 is a good solution, it really is a rock solid platform. I started in linear editing, so, there were never any calls to Sony to find out what button to push to make this or that happen. It's a paradign shift to be dependant on a bunch of software geeks just to get the thing to move.

Sorry for the sloppy grammer - english is'nt my subject. Although, my prose sense is . . .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]