MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Anybody any experience with a Firestore?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Twigt
Anybody any experience with a Firestore?
on Jun 22, 2007 at 8:17:24 pm

Is there anybody with hands-on experience of the Firestore FS-100 Hard Disk recorder? I'm interested in working with this machine, capturing DV stream from a DVx100 and then editing in Media100 HDe (in SD). Is there a conversion of files or will it be just be copying the files to your HD and import them. If so, how fast does this go? What settings on the Firestore FS-100 will be optimal for this workflow?

John Twigt
Workstation BV, Amsterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.workstation.nl

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Anybody any experience with a Firestore?
by
on Jun 22, 2007 at 8:28:45 pm

[John Twigt] "Is there a conversion of files or will it be just be copying the files to your HD and import them. If so, how fast does this go? What settings on the Firestore FS-100 will be optimal for this workflow? "

If you record in DV QuickTime mode on the FireStore the import will be very fast. Media 100 will do a little conversion, but this is basically creating new audio files for the DV streams, since Media 100 expects the audio files to be separate clips. The video stays untouched, so the whole import process is really fast once you have copied your files from FireStore to your video harddrive.

Return to posts index

John Twigt
on Jun 23, 2007 at 1:44:14 pm

Thanks Floh, for the response. One other question; it's also possible to 'record' in DVCPro50 codec in P2 MXF format on the firestore. Is that any quicker with respect to having the material ready to edit in the editing machine? I have no experience whatsover with the P2 format on the media100. I know it is possible, but how does it work? Do you have any working experience with this format?

Ich danke dir im voraus (my german is a little rusty, sorry)

John Twigt
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

SoftHarbor
on Jun 25, 2007 at 4:06:18 pm

It's probably a little faster to import from P2 than from DV. The workflow might be simpler because P2 import automatically copies the imported file from the source drive to your media folder. And P2 import supports 4 audio tracks. Once imported, the media works the same way. I'd say give it a short test and see if it does what you want.

Return to posts index

John Twigt
on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:34:42 pm

Thanks for the reply,
I have one more question though; with regards to quality, what will give the best results? ; When shooting with a Panasonic DVX-100: recording a DV-stream in quicktime or recording a DVCPRO50 in P2 format?
I know the recording normally takes place on a DV tape, but will the imagesignal somehow be sampled after it 'leaves' the chips to be recorded. I suppose so, but is it at the firewire bus not 'just' a DV signal. And therefore recording a DVCPRO50 codec is just a useless upgrading of the signal.
I don't know if i use the exact terminology , but i hope you all get my question.

Basically : is it possible to get a higher end signal from the firewire connector than a DV stream (4.2.0 PAL) ?

(maybe this the wrong forum, if so i apologize and will post this in another forum if needed, please let me know)

John Twigt
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

SoftHarbor
on Jun 26, 2007 at 4:19:22 am

I don't know that camera, but DVCPro50 is a better codec than DV25. It doesn't seem likely that they would "upconvert" it from DV25 to DVCPro50 just to take more space.

Media 100 only speaks DV25 through FireWire. So I think you'd probably get better quality with P2.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:28:13 pm

Supposing you only want to import some clips from a P2 card can you do that? It looks like you have to take the whole file on to your drives. I suppose you can then view the material and delete what is not needed but it seems a laborious way of acquiring media. I ask because I am interested in the proposed new XDCAM Ex which Sony have annonced which operates very much on the P2 principle but with a smaller camera and much cheaper cards.

Return to posts index

SoftHarbor
on Jun 26, 2007 at 4:21:50 am

Well, you have to take a whole clip, not the entire contents of the P2 card. In fact some cameras break long shots into multiple clips automatically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]