MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

DVD Software

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AjmetzDVD Software
by on Jun 18, 2007 at 8:50:45 pm

Hi.
I've a G4 Mac.
Am likely to buy a SuperDrive in the next week to burn some DVDs for the very first time! =P
I currently lack the latest DVD Studio Pro.

The DVD software I appear to have on my two G4s already are:

First G4 has:
DVD Studio Pro 1.1 (OS9),
iDVD 1.0 (OS9)
Roxio Toast Titanium 5.1.2 (OSX & OS9)

Second G4 has:
Roxio Toast Titanium 7 (OSX)
Roxio Popcorn 1.0 (OSX)

A friend has offered me use of their iDVD (OSX), I don't yet know which version.

I'll be buying a dual layer super drive from an Apple refurbisher.
I currently have a DVD-RAM drive that accepts DVD-RAM cartridges or discs, but am unaware if I'm able to use that for normal DVD-R burning. Hence hoping to buy a super drive.

My question therefore is - which applications out of the above choices would I be best using?

Return to posts index

DenaliRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:10:34 pm

If you are making DVD's from a Media 100 program, use BitVice or Compressor. They seem to handle the colors from Media 100 the best. If you use just Toast, iDVD, etc you will find everything is washed out.

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:16:41 pm

Hi,
I have Cleaner 6 on my first Mac,
my second Mac has Compressor, haven't checked which version.
I don't seem to have BitVice.

It was my understanding whichever programme you use for encoding, you still need to burn using an authoring programme.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:48:55 am

[Ajmetz] "t was my understanding whichever programme you use for encoding, you still need to burn using an authoring programme. "

More or less. Programs like Toast and iDVD do their own encoding and authoring in a single step. What do you really want to do?
If you want to create client review copies quickly the best thing you can do is to get a cheap standalone DVD recorder, hook it up via composite or S-Video and hit record on the DVD-Recorder and Play on your Media 100 timeline.
If you want to do more complex authoring get BitVice for MPEG 2 encoding and use DVDStudio for the authoring. This way you can create DVDs that can be compared to commercial DVDs you can buy (quality-wise and feature wise). But the encoding takes time, and building DVDs in DVDSP needs some knowledge and some time learning how to do it.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2007 at 3:31:53 am

Cheers Floh.
Already got a DVD VCR and have been playing out via S-Video for the past year or so.

Now I've a 2hour 30min production I need to make about 10-20 copies of and post out. So either I'll do one recording to the DVD VCR and then hope my SuperDrive could duplicate it (which software would be best for that?), or perhaps I can burn to disc via the Mac in the first place, and cut out the VCR. It is kinda annoying waiting 2hrs30mins for a programme to finish playing out.
Further down the line some menu design would be nice,
right now, for these 10-20, just doesn't matter - they're just trade previews, although chapter marks for every 10-15mins would be good, as people will want to skim through it rather than watch all 2 and a half hours of it.

BitVice looks beyond my budget atm.
Can I get away with Compressor or Cleaner 6?
And the only DVD Studio Pro I have is Version 1.1 on OS9. Think I'll be fine with that, despite it's age? Or am I better off using the less professional, but more up-to-date OSX software I mentioned?

So I guess it boils down to two questions:
Basic duping of a DVD VCR burnt disc, would be best in what app?
Is my old OS9 DVD Studio Pro still the safe bet for proper authoring with menus?
Oh - and are Compressor or Cleaner 6 gonna be okay in BitVice's absense?

Of course, maybe these are stupid questions. When I get my drive, I guess I can experiment with the different apps and see which yeilds the best result. That said, advice could still save me time.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:48:21 am

[Ajmetz] " It is kinda annoying waiting 2hrs30mins for a programme to finish playing out."

Wait before you see how long an MPEG encode (especially on a "older" Mac) will take. You at least should think 4 times as long as realtime (probably even much more).

[Ajmetz] "Basic duping of a DVD VCR burnt disc, would be best in what app?
"

Toast.

[Ajmetz] "Is my old OS9 DVD Studio Pro still the safe bet for proper authoring with menus?"
Yes. But of course you need to learn the software, and you need to get your SuperDrive working under OS9.

[Ajmetz] "Oh - and are Compressor or Cleaner 6 gonna be okay in BitVice's absense?"
Generally speaking yes. I

Return to posts index

DenaliRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 20, 2007 at 2:18:42 pm

I think I read on another post about a week ago on how to set the settings of compressor to avoid the washed out look. Try looking for a post called "DVD's on MEdia 100 HD" or something like that.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2007 at 2:46:19 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing something like that too. I'll look it up. Although first I'm gonna see if I can't find a copy of BitVice maybe...

Totally forgot MPEG encoding would take ages - of course! =P Doh.
[ I do some web encoding and that takes long enough. ;-) ].
Might be better just duping the VCR produced DVD in the first instance.

But anyway, thanks for the top answers guys. =)

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 20, 2007 at 4:29:39 pm

Hi Ajmetz,

When I am making viewing copies of long things (like VHS's or rushes) I record them on my DVD Recorder, then demux the disc to m2v & ac3 with Mpeg Streamclip and use these files in DVDSP to make a nicer branded Disc. You can get rid of the nasty recorder-made menu and put a nicer one in, or make the DVD self-start and loop etc. You can also put the chapter points in where you want them.

Also if you are using DVDSP 1.0 in OS9 but your superdrive won't, you can always create a disc image in DVDSP and then burn it in OSX using Disk Utility.

K

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2007 at 4:33:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Have been doing a lot of wmv conversions with MPEG Streamclip since you first recommended it to me.

Obviously, all this advice isn't gonna go anywhere until I recieve the SuperDrive, but when I do, I'll have a fiddle around and see how it all goes.

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 21, 2007 at 5:04:36 am

dvd studio pro is not a bad app. you can definitely use it to create some good DVD's. the only thing about it is that it does not come with menu presets or encoding options, so all of your content (menu and media) must be prepared outside of DVDSP. You can design your own menu graphics in photoshop, along with the buttons and their states, and import the PSD's into DVDSP and select by layers the textures for your buttons.

theres a ton of stuff out there that can help you with this just do a search for DVDSP1 and how to prep photoshop files for menus

also encoding your videos with compressor can give you pretty good results, you just have to do what others have already said and test a few short clips and adjust the brightness, contrast etc. also remember that if you dont encode your audio to AC3 you will have to reduce your video bitrate to compensate for larger PCM audio. im not sure what DVDSP1's audio requirements were...

You alrady have all the stuff you need to create a good-looking DVD. the only thing you're missing from DVDSP is the simplicity of being able to encode average-looking MPEG2 files and some ok-looking menu presets all in the same program.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2007 at 12:21:23 pm

Hey - I appreciate the reply.
Am used to importing in graphics and such like, and used to create cool linear flash animations using pre-prepared bitmap sequences, so importing images from an art programme sounds right up my street, =), and I should take to that like a duck in water, so that's pretty exciting for me.

There's a programme on my Mac called A.Pack or something. The icon makes it look like it's audio related. I wonder if that would help with AC3 conversion? Hmm...yeah, it seems to be an AC3 audio encoder programme in the DVD Studio folder, although unlike DVD SP, it looks like I have both an OSX version and a OS9 version.

I can boot up DVD SP 1.1 and see what its requirements are.
Ahh...the PDF manual states is accepts PCM, MPEG Audio, and AC-3 audio.

Wooooaaaahhh.....looks like I have an OS9 programme called Astarte M.Pack 3.03 for encoding MPEG1 and MPEG2 videos for DVD.
Any knowledge on how this compares to BitVice/Compressor, or will I just have to experiment and find out?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2007 at 12:36:49 pm

[Ajmetz] "Wooooaaaahhh.....looks like I have an OS9 programme called Astarte M.Pack 3.03 for encoding MPEG1 and MPEG2 videos for DVD."

Astarte was the company who developed DVDStudioPro before Apple bought it. So I guess this is the software that was rebranded as Compressor later.

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: DVD Software
by on Jun 22, 2007 at 12:04:44 am

word on the street here is that bitvice is the best way to get media100i video files converted to MPEG-2 for the best quality, color reproduction, etc. again you have everything you need already to do what you need to get going, so if you get fed up with the results astarte is giving maybe you get bitvice.

i dont think bitvice has released a universal version yet, so i would maybe hold out until they release that so if you end up getting a new CPU or something it will work on your new equipment and be optimized to take advantage of intel chips.

also a.pack will do your ac-3 conversion. i think its as easy as dragging and dropping your audio/video file and hitting encode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]