MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Color conversion for AE.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greggm
Color conversion for AE.
on Jun 18, 2007 at 6:03:43 pm

Ok. I know that this has been discussed, but I was hoping to get the boiled down version. I'm looking for the best way to send video back and forth between Media100 and AE. When I bring in reference files in AE and preview to screen, the video is dark, and when I render and import back to Media100, it looks washed out. I know that this has to do with the whole YUV and RGB color space, but is there an easy way to deal with it? I tried bringing clips into Red, and I get the same issue. Should I apply a levels adjustment in AE before rendering? By the way, just in case this matters, I digitize with uncompressed 10bit selected. Thought that might make a difference, since I'm not using the Media100HD codec.

Media100 HDe (AJA) hardware 11.6.2 PPC

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Color conversion for AE.
by
on Jun 18, 2007 at 6:14:31 pm

[greggm] " When I bring in reference files in AE and preview to screen, the video is dark, and when I render and import back to Media100, it looks washed out.."

The easy way is this:
From Media 100 as 8bitUncompressed (original, self-contained, by ref or via the AE Exporter plugin) to AE will give a darker/more contrasty image in AE. Without changing anything and rendering back to 8bit Uncompressed in AE you will get correct colors/Levels in Media 100 again. If you want to see your material correctly in AE you can apply a Adjustment layer on top of the video (remember to turn it off before starting to render; this is only a correction for watching from AE!!!). Add a "Levels" effect to the Adjustment layer, with the output black set to RGB16 and the output white set to RGB235. Set the Gamma to 1.2, and you should be good to work in AE

Return to posts index

greggm
on Jun 18, 2007 at 7:05:15 pm

Thanks Floh! That's a big help.

Return to posts index

greggm
on Jun 18, 2007 at 7:40:48 pm

Another question along this line... when you're exporting for web or dvd, do you use the export video with the video (16-235) option turned on? I'm using compressor 2 to go to dvd.

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Jun 18, 2007 at 8:10:45 pm

If you're going to compressor, or if you have a mixed codec time line, you should export using this option (16-235)... alternatively, go get bitvice (http://www.innobits.com), which has an option to handle m100 rgb values properly.

A.D

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Jun 21, 2007 at 5:08:05 am

you can also turn on your video preview to your monitor in AE and it will output what you will see when you play back your rendered file back in m100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]