MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Where to sell an old M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
atariv8Where to sell an old M100
by on Jun 11, 2007 at 1:27:18 pm

Where would be the best place to sell or trade an old M100i 8.2 system? I recently purchased the system from the company I work for because I hated to see it sitting on a shelf. I booted it up and messed around with it at home since it had been awhile since I used it but I really won't be using it that much.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Where to sell an old M100
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 12:17:24 am

Hi Atariv8,

Welcome to the forum!

The first and most obvious answer to your question is eBay, but be warned, second hand Media 100's don't go for much on the open market.

More often than not in my experience, second hand systems get bought by existing users (like us lot here on the cow) as spare parts or upgrades to keep their suites going. So advertising here is good (though check the boards policy on advertising in posts)

Firstly though, you need to gather some more info about your system. You say you have an 8.2 system which is good, but you also need to know the following, most of which can be found from the "about Media 100" menu item.

*The software level, ie. XS, XR, LE etc. much below XS these days is not good (IMHO)

*The type of board the system uses, i.e. P6000 (good) or Vincent 601 (not so good)

*What add ons the system has, i.e. DV Option, Real Time FX, SDI option etc

Those details are the most important to a buyer who knows the system. After that, if you are selling a complete system, the Mac it is in and the amount of memory start to be a major factor. Quite often the machine is more valuable than the Media 100 within it, and it might be better to sell the Media 100 boards/software and the machine separately.

Armed with all that info you can list on eBay with a "Buy Now or Best Offer" set to the amount you'd like to get, and let the market value your system by looking at the offers you get, which you are under no obligation to accept.

My last piece of advice is to list internationally. The UK pound is still strong against the dollar and there are still users in the UK that buy stuff

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Where to sell an old M100
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 12:20:22 am

That was odd, it posted before I had finished. Spooky!

Anyway, I was just going to say good luck, and I hope you get what you want for your system.

Return to posts index

atariv8Re: Where to sell an old M100
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 1:14:21 am

It's a XS system but I didn't want to get too specific on this thread because I wasn't to clear on the policy of trying to sell something in the forums and I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. Thanks for the the advice and I'll get my specs together and post it properly. I nearly got the system for nothing so any amount of money and the knowledge that it's still in use is cool for me. I may even look into to see if Media 100 has a good upgrade path to something else.

Return to posts index

santellavisionRe: Where to sell an old M100
by on Jun 15, 2007 at 4:33:12 pm

Would you please post back your results either selling your system or what upgrade paths you find. I have one sitting around gathering dust too.

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved