MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

DVDs from Media 100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex
DVDs from Media 100 HD
by
on Jun 6, 2007 at 5:52:05 pm

I've asked before, I'm just wondering if anyone has come accross a better way!

We are still struggling to find a reliable and consistent way to created top notch DVDs from Media 100 programmes. We're using DVD studio to pro and pre treating selfcontained QT movies from M100 with Compressor. We've played with the settings but Media 100s RGB platform causes problems with washed out colours - I'm not overly keen on fixing these in compressor as I don't trust it to retain quality.

So far the easiest way it to use a panasonic dvd recorder, record the dvd and rip it back into the macs to duplicate or author which frankly seems a bit Heath Robinson.

Has anyone found the answer???

Thanks in advance

Alex.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: DVDs from Media 100 HD
by
on Jun 6, 2007 at 6:37:42 pm

[Alex] "Has anyone found the answer???"

Use BitVice with the StudioRGB setting as an MPEG encoder

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:29:48 am

Cool, thanks Floh

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Jun 7, 2007 at 4:12:31 pm

Hi,
Someone posted this for me a few months back regarding settings within Compressor. It worked really well I thought so thought it might be worth posting again for you. May be trying if you feel like sticking with Compressor.

"Compressor works in the YUV color space which is Black is 0 and white is 255. Thats why you see faded blacks and dingy whites when encoding a m100 project in compressor.

Settings are:
NTSC
4:3
upperfield
closed gop
7 frame structure
Filters:
black restore + 7.5
colors (highlights and midtones = +20 (leave shadows/lowlights at 0 or you add noise back to your blacks)
Gamma is 1.4 (you could try 1.3 and 1.5)
Compressor has a great split frame view of your original work and "with filters applied" if you double click the source file in the original compressor window that contains the time/quality encode settings.
Scroll through the dark parts of your program to make sure you haven't destroyed the image (showing as digital black squares) that end up as noise on the finished DVD encode. Play with the gamma a little bit to see what the "crushed black" looks like in your program.
I'm still finding compressor produces the cleanest image(no new noise) - but bitvice has the best color reproduction. I've done about 50 tests on this project I'm working on now."

Best,
Jack

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:56:54 pm

Thanks for this, though I'm working in PAL some of the settings will probably need tweaking.

Thanks for taking the time

Alex.

Return to posts index

mfm000
on Jun 7, 2007 at 3:00:21 pm

Do you guys have any opinion about Flip4Mac vs. BitVice for encoding?

Thanks!

Mitch Merback

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 7, 2007 at 8:16:58 pm

[mfm000] "Do you guys have any opinion about Flip4Mac vs. BitVice for encoding?"

Um, Flip4Mac encodes WMV files, BitVice encodes MPEG2. One is for web, one for DVDs...

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jun 10, 2007 at 10:54:45 pm

BV instantly quits at the start of encoding on my 8 core.
Can't get it started

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:09:57 am

[David Issko] "BV instantly quits at the start of encoding on my 8 core."

BitVice seems to have a similar problem than V11.6.1. If you set the system to only use 4 CPUs (via Apples CHUD tools) BitVice will work fine. Btw. you only need to set it to 4 CPUs when starting the encode. After that you can switch back to 8 without crashing BV.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jun 11, 2007 at 11:08:21 pm

Thanks very much Floh
David

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Jun 12, 2007 at 9:53:50 am

The best software MPEG-2 encoder on the market IMHO is made by Cinemacraft a Japanese compan:.

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/index.html

Unfortunately it's PC only and expensive at

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]