MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Popping sound on audio inserts M100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AlexPopping sound on audio inserts M100 HD
by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:00:08 pm

Hi,

We seem unable to insert sound cleanly into our masters, whenever we do there is an audible crack on the 'join' - the only way round it we've found is to insert the new audio where there is a similar noise to actually mask it.

The programmes are passing their tech checks but it's still annoying - has anyone else had this or is it just a standard problem with HD?

We're using AES audio.

Alex.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Popping sound on audio inserts M100 HD
by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:01:46 pm

What deck and format are you using?

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Popping sound on audio inserts M100 HD
by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:06:25 pm

A Sony HDW D2000 HD CAM PAL

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:17:25 pm

What software version are you using? Have you set the "sync audio to" setting set correctly (to the video out you are using)? Do you insert audio only, or audio and video? Have you set the "Frame offset" correctly for your deck? For our HDCam HDW-M2000P we have to set it to -1.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:26:57 pm

We're running M100HD Ver 10.1.4, synced to SDI 2 which is correct for our setup - sorry, do I set the frame offset on the VTR or M100? I can't seem to find it in the menus of either!

Video inserts are fine but whenever we've tried either Audio by itself or Audio & Video simultaneously we've had this problem.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:35:28 pm

[Alex] "Video inserts are fine but whenever we've tried either Audio by itself or Audio & Video simultaneously we've had this problem."

Are your video inserts frame accurate (relatively to your timeline)? We initially had some problems with that, and that

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:51:50 pm

SDI 1 isn't plugged in, though I've just looked at the panel and that's the HD output, you've got me wondering now if when the guys mastered the last HD series if they used SDI 1... I'll check with them.

We did discover a problem with the Master to Tape using the Record option in that you can't - we have to stripe tapes first with some timecode and do an Assemble edit otherwise we had some framing issues (I forget exactly what they were now). Now you mention it, there WERE also issues with frames on the vision inserts (though we overcame these by a process of trial and error - but the audio problem persists).

Are there big differences with V11.5.x? Is it a straightforward software upgrade or hardware too?

A.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 1:17:14 pm

[Alex] "Are there big differences with V11.5.x? Is it a straightforward software upgrade or hardware too?"

It is a software upgrade (as long as you don

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2007 at 1:21:00 pm

We'll have a look at it.

Thanks for your help.

Alex.

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: Popping sound on audio inserts M100 HD
by on Jun 6, 2007 at 3:51:24 pm

Alex, I had similar issues going back to v4.x, and I worked around it by manually ramping up the audio level - usually just one or two frames for the ramp-up and ramp-down took care of the problem. And since I'm a creature of habit, I still do that on every audio clip in my timeline.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2007 at 5:45:52 pm

Thanks Mark,

Out of habit I do this too! There's a function in the scripts to do it for you, it'll ramp all audio clips on an edl but of course if you've got featured sound you've already mixed, you don't necessarily want M100 to fiddle.

The popping sound I've encountered isn't caused by not ramping since I always do it but it is exactly the same noise, interestingly.

Alex.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]