MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 upgrade or FCP?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim@abc32Media 100 upgrade or FCP?
by on May 31, 2007 at 12:55:44 pm

The company I work for wants to upgrade our editing software. We currently have Media 100i. Should we upgrade that to Media100 HD or go with Final Cut Pro Studio 2? One of the issues now is that Media 100i is so slow rendering.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Media 100 upgrade or FCP?
by on May 31, 2007 at 3:43:12 pm

So many things have changed in Media 100 since we released Media 100i. There has been years and years of improvements. The slow rendering that you point out was because of the hardware limitations of the Media 100i system. There was a time where the rendering on the P6000 was faster than the computer rendering a file. Years ago we moved to host based rendering and processing. So, the faster your computer's processor, the faster you render. Also, remember that you can still use your legacy documents in your new Media 100 system. If you want more specifics, I can spell them out here, but I also urge you to contact our sales department. They are well versed in Final Cut and Media 100 and can answer any questions you may have and there is no high pressure sales involved. 1-800-922-3220

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Media 100 upgrade or FCP?
by on May 31, 2007 at 4:34:00 pm

As I have stated here before, I have both and now use Media 100 v. 11.5.1 for everything I'm starting new. It's simpler, requires fewer key strokes & steps and is therefore -- speaking for myself and my workflow -- faster.

If you have Media 100i you already know 95% of Media 100 HD and, for legacy projects you can simply open them in the new version rather than spend a ton of time re-digitizing and re-building programs. If you have to choose one or the other stay with Media 100. You will be a LOT happier in the long run. Not to mention more productive.

BUT, as I have also discussed here, software is cheap. Why not get the new Media 100 with its AJA card then set-up a second drive or partition where you can install the non-Media 100 AJA drivers and Final Cut Pro? Then you can have months, if not years to decide which program suits you best. Frankly the other programs that come in the FCP suite are well worth its $1,300 price tag.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100 upgrade or FCP?
by on May 31, 2007 at 4:36:38 pm

The question is what you want to do, and on which system you feel comfortable. If the rendering times are your main concern you definitely should have a look at Media 100 HD: You won

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Media 100 upgrade or FCP?
by on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:50:55 am

I'm with nick. If the company is paying for it get one of dem new mac oct machines and load both. Put a bunch of RAM in it whist you're at it.

I'm running FCP and M100 on a quad and it works really well. Although I hardly ever use FCP for editing I just use some of there other stuff in the studio pro pack. But you'll miss hassel free, bullet proof editing on media100 if you don't have it.

Check out the FCP message boards if you want to see what you'd be left with. All sorts of problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved