MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tankboyKieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)
by on May 24, 2007 at 3:04:39 am

Hi yas on the 19th May

Kieran posted this....

(>This is how I do it in RED,

1. Create a composition in the gfx layer above your clip
2. Edit the composition (i.e. launch RED)
3. create a new track as a spline primitive, I usually use the oval shape.
4. Using the scale controls make the shape the right size to cover the offending logo/face/sweat mark (I kid you not)
5. apply Basic Blur from the filters menu to give the shape a soft edge, adjust to taste.
6. create a new track as video 1, apply Basic Blur
7. move the spline primitive track into the MASK track of the blurred video track
8. You should now have blurred video in the shape of your spline primitive over the top of your clean video.
9. Adjust the blur of the video to taste.
10. Use the motion tracker to track the shape(rather than the blured video track) to the thing you are covering up.<)

And it worked for me brilliantly. So thanks heaps for putting that up Kieran. Although there was a little hitch. I think there must be a alpha chanel box I forgot to tick or something because the blurred area is black and doesn't seem to carry the alpha video through it. If you know what I mean?

I tried decreasing the opacity in the FX layer but that exposes the face I'm trying to blur.
Any hints as to what I might have missed?

I'm using FX to do this. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)
by on May 24, 2007 at 10:26:34 am

Hi Tankboy,

I've just made the effect in FX to see if there was a difference, but (in 6.1) I got it to work OK.

In this case I did the following,

1. Made a new composition above my clip in G1 (or whatever)
2. Edit the composition (FX launches)
3. You should have one video layer set as V1. Create another by "add 3D plane" or command-K. Make sure this is also set to V1
4. Apply basic blur to the topmost layer.

You should now have a completely blurry layer.

5. Create a new layer. Place it at the top
6. Set it to Still Image File and import your shape (from photoshop or whatever)

If you've managed to import it with its alpha channel in place you should now have the shape sitting over the blurry video. If not, try using the "Make Alpha Key" filter from the filter menu. This may well have the effect of making your shape invisible but its mask visible. If that's the case don't worry - we can fix that later

7. Drag this new shape track to the MASK track of the blurry video. (drag it onto the word mask - you'll need to have the drop-down of the track enabled)

Now you should have clean video and blurred video in the shape of your imported shape. If you have it reversed to the way you wanted it (see above) then click the "inverst mask track" button (the one that looks like a red dot in a box next to the "eye" symbol of the mask track). This will reverse the shape.

Let me know if that cures the problem,

Return to posts index

tankboyRe: Kieran? Best Way to Create Blur (Q)
by on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:53:28 am

Sorry for the delayed reply Kieran. thanks for that info. I haven't had a chance to try this, but a soon as I do I'll let you know how I got on.

thanks again. it's really appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved