MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

replacement scsi drives

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bill pagereplacement scsi drives
by on May 21, 2007 at 12:42:30 pm

Hi:
I need to replace a scsi external raid hard drive unit I use w/ my M100, and would like at least 100GB. I was using Meda, but they are not longer in business. Prices sure went up on these. What is the best brand and who to purchse from. This is not for Firewire, and dont want to spend too much on scsi technology.
Thanks.
Bill

Return to posts index

FlohRe: replacement scsi drives
by on May 21, 2007 at 12:45:11 pm

Depending on your Mac, the cheapest solution is to get a SATA card and some external or internal SATA drives. Great performance for little money.

Return to posts index

bill pageRe: replacement scsi drives
by on May 21, 2007 at 1:00:28 pm

Thanks, but I would like to use the current scsi card I have in my computer. I have another working Meda Raid drive I also currently use and this would daisy chain to the new one I purchase.
Bill

Return to posts index

raymondmRe: replacement scsi drives
by on May 21, 2007 at 10:00:07 pm

Bill/Floh. I am in the same situation, and thinking about using both a SCSI and SATA card. Although I really could use the speed and economy of a SATA swRAID, my Medea is working flawlessly. Do you know if such a two-card solution is possible?

Return to posts index

bill pageRe: replacement scsi drives
by on May 22, 2007 at 4:33:45 pm

Raymond:
No, I really dont know if both would work and be recognized by the M100. I decided to buy a Lacie 500GB hard drive ($180) and a Firewire 400 card ($25), and use this for storage, freeing up my working Medea drive (which is about 125GBs) for new projects yet keeping the current ones that are still being worked on. These I will back up on the Lacie. Some extra back and forth, but is a workable solution until I go total Firewire. It's not worth investing into SCSI drives (the least $$ I found was $1,400) anymore.
The Firewire drives are SO inexpensive compared to the SCSI and the amount of storage space, and SCSI's are now old technology. The money I am saving with the Lacie will be used toward a new and current system....like Final Cut Pro....did I say that.....???
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]