MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How to Edit 16:9 SD & 4:3 SD Together in the Same Timeline

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HughesHow to Edit 16:9 SD & 4:3 SD Together in the Same Timeline
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:09:08 pm

I need some help. I have to edit a project that was shot on a 4:3 standard-definition mini-dv camera and I have to edit that footage with footage shot 16:9 standard-definition mini-dv (on the Sony Z1).

I'm on the Media 100i 8.2.3.

Is it possible to edit these together in the same timeline? In the preferences I put the setting at 16:9, then logged all the footage from the 16:9 camera.

I can digitize the 4:3 footage in the 16:9 mode but oddly and interestingly when I play it in the timeline, it looks fine without letterbox. But when I dig the 16:9 footage, it appears stretched vertically. In other words, even though all the footage is digitizing in the 16:9 mode, it ends up looking like it was all digitized in the 4:3 mode.

Any advice? Thank you.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: How to Edit 16:9 SD & 4:3 SD Together in the Same Timeline
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:19:41 pm

[Thomas Hughes] "Is it possible to edit these together in the same timeline? In the preferences I put the setting at 16:9, then logged all the footage from the 16:9 camera."

Not really...

[Thomas Hughes] "n other words, even though all the footage is digitizing in the 16:9 mode, it ends up looking like it was all digitized in the 4:3 mode."

This is correct. In your viewer window the clips will look as 16:9, and if you switch your monitor to 16:9 you will also see them in the correct aspect ratio.

My suggested workflow would be to find out in which format you will be delivering. So if you are going to deliver in 16:9 anamorphotic, digitize all your clips in 16:9 (or reimport the ones that you already digitized using the "Import" window, and set the aspect ratio in the Import window to 16:9). Edit the stuff together as you like; unfortunately you will be seeing some footage stretched and some correct.
When finished export your timeline to AE; in AE scale your 4:3 clips to match the 16:9 composition and render out the whole project.
If you are going to deliver in 4:3 do it reversed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]