MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

how do I get rid of the arrows?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DoctorSneyhow do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 17, 2007 at 7:36:19 pm

hi there,

I'm new to media 100 but now use it daily to cut shows. I started on Avid, and have used some fcp, but Media 100 is a different beast entirely.

on the timeline, when I overlap a clip on the b track under my clip on the a track track, I get a the pointer arrow showing my cut point. how do I get rid of the arrow if I don't want it to cut there?

so far I do it by holding down the control key and rolling away the video that the arrow is pointing to, thus breakin the link, and then rolling the video back. but this sucks and I'd like to know how to just plain delete the pointer arrows. sometimes it places too many down and it's irritating.

I hope that's clear enough, and welcome suggestions from the media 100 veterans.

thanks

Sney //

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 17, 2007 at 11:29:29 pm

Hi Doctorsney,

Simply click on the arrows, hold the mouse button down and drag the arrows away. You can also drag the arrows to desired points, or click to create new ones.

HTH

K

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 18, 2007 at 8:03:59 am

Kieran, sometimes I discover a random arrow stuck on a timeline even when there is nothing on that section of the track. I find this impossible to remove, not that it causes any problem. In fact I can't see why our first poster finds arrows so disturbing, don't they always appear when media changes tracks? I am curious as to what he means by "media 100 is a different beast from Avid". Easier to use? Better? Worse?

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 18, 2007 at 12:16:55 pm

Hi Michael,

Is it that strange lone arrow that only appears at certain zoom factors? Yes, I get that. I guess it's just a UI bug. Freaks you out though, especially when you are about to master something!

The arrows do seem to be a peculiarity of Media 100. Most other NLEs I've seen simply make the top clip dominant, so you can't have a non visible head or tail of a clip on the timeline like you can in Media 100 (unless it is part of an effect of course, or you mod its opacity natch) So someone used to another system might not guess the arrows are moveable or infact dispensible.

Yes, you have to have at least one arrow between tracks, but as the OP mentions, media 100 defaults the arrow to the head of the incoming clip rather than the tail of the outgoing, so I guess if you aren't used to it, it might seem strange.

Even stranger now I guess is the fact that we have this odd hybrid of "old school" media 100 with arrows, and top down clips with modable opacity on the upper clips but without clip based effects filtering.

But I digress,

K

Return to posts index

DoctorSneyRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:05:35 pm

thanks for your responses, I really appreciate people taking the time to write.

ok, just to clarify, I'm using Media 100HD Ver.11.5

I'm sure I;ve dragged the dang arrows left, right, up and down etc.

Left and right will slide it along the originating clip, bunching up any other arrows it collides with and pushing them to the left / right. Pulling the arrows up or down seems to do nothing, it neither moves nor deletes them.

If I have clips overlapped on the a and b tracks and there is no arrow between them, then a simple click in the fx area between a and b will insert an arrow, though right now I can't think if it favors a particular direction when you do it like that...

but I still don;t know how to make the arrows disappear alltogether except for trimming the target layer away from the arrow, thus breaking the link, and then trimming it back.

I want a delete arrow keystroke if anyone knows one.

As for my opinions on avid versus media 100, I prefer Avid, though I've begun to enjoy using media 100. I'd drop it in a heartbeat if given the opportunity however.

Avid is a more mature tool in terms of the features included to make you're job easier. I like to be able to 'match frame' and return to the originating media and immediately see it's full length.

I like to be able to play while I trim, I like having a source monitor in the NLE that has a drop down menu of recently loaded clips. I like to have a big fat bright green scalable timecode window so I can see that kind of information clearly and easily. I like being able to see the waveform and have it scalable incase I';m working closely with audio (which is most of the time), I like being able to map any commands to keyboard shortcuts of my choosing.

I guess what that says is that I'm definitely more used to the way Avid allows you to work. But I don't hate media 100. Actually i have more of an issue with F*&^king Boris Red/Green/B,ue Magenta whatever the blasted thing is. It's $hit. Give me AFX any day....

Return to posts index

FlohRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:14:17 pm

Grab and hold one of the arrows (not the one that is at the right edge) and drag it up. Release Mouse, arrow will be gone.

[DoctorSney] ", I like having a source monitor in the NLE that has a drop down menu of recently loaded clips."

You do have this in V11.5...

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:50:40 pm

I've an older version of M100 so don't know if it's entirely the same, but basically, when you drag an arrow down away from the timeline, you'll see a little red "X" appear over it, when you release at that point, it'll delete. You can do the same thing with volume nodes.

Return to posts index

DoctorSneyRe: how do I get rid of the arrows?
by on May 25, 2007 at 12:37:00 am

hey floh,

you're absolutely correct on both counts, dragging the arrow up does remove it, provided that it's not the last arrow, thanks so much!

And yes I did finally spot the drop down menu of recently loaded clips on the source monitor, my next quibble is that I can;t clear the list of clips... obviously I'm just far too fussy!

I also want to be able to clear the list of recent tapes in the acquire tool.

thanks to all who replied

Sney //

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]