MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i not opening.... help?!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ToruWatanabeMedia 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 14, 2007 at 5:05:48 pm

Hey, I have a Media 100i [w/ P6000, card operating on dual 1.25 G4 w/ 1.5gB RAM] that is not opening, just gets the terminal beach-ball-of-death. Diagnostics say the card is healthy... I've also looked for recent startup items that might be affecting it, without locating any clear culprit.
I've been using this system for about 2 years, and I am fairly well acquainted w/ Media 100 (I started on a NuBus card in 1996). Here's the rub: I bought this card on eBay from a guy who promised a proper title transfer which he never delivered to me. So I'm out in the cold on Media 100's official tech support. Anybody got an idea what my next step oughta be?
I'm way deep into a project using After Effects & Media 100i, so I can only work right now in AE on clips already exported from the media 100 :(
BTW I am using version 8.2.1....I've tried reinstalling w/o success; the only thing I could reasonably imagine is the most recent Quicktime update (to 7.1.6) has wrecked everything.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 14, 2007 at 5:48:14 pm

The QuickTime update could be it. But first you could delete (or move to the desktop) the Media 100 prefs (they are in YourHomeFolder->Library->Media 100 Preferences).

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeRe: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 14, 2007 at 11:22:25 pm

Floh-
Thanks a bunch for your timely response---though unfortunately removing the prefs didn't do much this time. Supposing it's the new Quicktime, and given the inexorable march of Qt updates..I figure I gotta try and upgrade this sucker-punch eBay version and get current.
BTW, great stuff at the magiceye.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 14, 2007 at 7:27:18 pm

Hi,

Lots going on here and too many things that could cause this. We offer pay-per-day if you want to talk to tech support about this.

Dave

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2007 at 11:06:02 pm

OK---so, where, how and how much $ for the daily tech support?
(My suspicion is that the last Quicktime upgrade did it, in which case I would be looking for a download from Media 100 that will work with QT 7.1.6 the P6000 card...?)

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2007 at 8:26:15 am

Dave, this offer sounds promising---just please indicate how I can go about this. My previous experience w/ Media 100, I think as recently as 2005(?), has been very consistent, in that they seem to offer no service whatsoever to Media 100 operators lacking an official title of ownership for a Media 100 system.

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 15, 2007 at 4:41:28 pm

Hi,

It's $195 for a day fir Technical Support. It gets a bit tricky from there if you need a repair, because we are in limited supply of Media 100 boards, we only offer repairs to platinum extended warranty customers. So, you would have to purchase this service.

I doubt your QuickTime update broke the board, that would be very unusual and I can't recall a QuickTime update every breaking the flash rom on the hardware. We won't support the latest QuickTime with Media 100i for a while. We're still working on Testing the UB version of Media 100 for Intel and PPC, then we'll work on the next version of Media 100.

Please understand that for almost 2 years BorisFX has tried to do everything possible to continue offering services to Media 100i and iFinish customers (and 844/X too), we have a fair amount of boards in stock to service our Media 100 customers with Platinum Services, but P6000's have not been manufactured for 6 years and many of the parts are obsolete. We've also retained staff who are experts in Media 100 technical support. At some point this hardware will need to be replaced or systems will need to be upgraded. We've also tried to help customers upgrade for a fair price by offering Media 100 Producer to past customers at upgrade prices. Producer will take in all of your Media and documents and let you work. It outputs Media 100 media in real-time through the FireWire connector.

We'll make our best reasonable effort to make sure your system can get back up and running.

Dave

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2007 at 9:36:14 pm

Dave-
It's possible that I may take your offer on this, though I still need to know where and to whom I ought to specifically contact (web address, phone, business, etc.). I agree that this is not likely a hardware problem.
The longer I think about this, the more I would think my best course is to try a software upgrade from my current 8.2.1 to whatever's the latest one that works with the P6000. How much would that cost?
(I also think it would be good for Media 100 to get current with their knowledge of Quicktime compatabilities...)

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 15, 2007 at 9:42:44 pm

[ToruWatanabe] "The longer I think about this, the more I would think my best course is to try a software upgrade from my current 8.2.1 to whatever's the latest one that works with the P6000. How much would that cost?"

The latest Media 100 i version is V8.2.3a, and this is free for v8.2 customers. Give it a try.

[ToruWatanabe] "(I also think it would be good for Media 100 to get current with their knowledge of Quicktime compatabilities...)"

Media 100 i and V8.2 is quite an old platform. It is great to see that there are updates at all like the V8.2.3 release recently; other hardware/software vendors would not do this.

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2007 at 11:15:39 pm

I agree that is very promising, though I may be significantly hobbled: I indicated earlier that I got this card on eBay from someone who basically scammed me out of the official title transfer...
So is there a way to get recognized as an owner or customer in order to get this upgrade?
(BTW I repeatedly asked the seller before and after purchase for the official Media 100 title transfer. The guy promised it but never delivered, changed his phone and email and is too far away to be reached face to face. I'm assuming he retained the title for some purpose, all I know is it's made this process very difficult.)

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2007 at 5:15:37 am

OK, thanks for the info, 8.2.3a was successfully installed and recognized, yet the program STILL isn't opening.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 16, 2007 at 6:01:38 pm

I've had a similar problem with M100 not opening - but it's intermittent and random.

It normally begins to misbehave after working in AFX.

Usually if you leave it overnight it then starts up in the morning!

Makes no sense to me and I'm just living with it. I've found that if I create a new user i can open M100 that way. I'm resigned to this until the move to HD next year.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Media 100i not opening.... help?!
by on May 16, 2007 at 6:50:29 pm

when was the last time you tried to contact media 100 about this transfer issue? 2005? That was probably still under optibase.

If you're in the states, try calling them, this number was on their website 800.922.3220

A.D.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2007 at 9:09:03 pm

AS far as I can tell it's the same, though thank you enormously for providing the #. Before I can get anyone on the phone I have to enter my "Platinum Contract Number".

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeDAVE
by on May 16, 2007 at 8:57:08 pm

Hey dave, l still need further contact info from you to pursue the option you offered.

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: DAVE
by on May 17, 2007 at 8:12:28 am

I assume all the support contact info you need can be found on the website? http://www.media100.com

Have you tried some of what's been spoken about first, however?

I.e.:

1) Does reverting back to the old Quicktime solve the problem? (Dave has already admitted Media100i doesn't work with the latest Quicktime)

2) What about the other person's advice of leaving it a day and/or creating a new user account to login from, and then running the program?

It shouldn't cost you anything to look into those two points at least.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: DAVE
by on May 17, 2007 at 9:42:32 am

[Ajmetz] "1) Does reverting back to the old Quicktime solve the problem? (Dave has already admitted Media100i doesn't work with the latest Quicktime)"

Dave actually said that they don

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2007 at 9:46:01 am

^_^ Okay, I stand corrected.
Am still using 7.5 and OS9, and despite dual booting to OSX, am not familiar with 8.2.3 or the latest Quicktime.
Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2007 at 9:51:31 am

..although even if I misinterpretted Dave, I'd still work by elimination, and try free suggestions first, before resorting to paying for tech support. But it's all down to time vs money.

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeRe: DAVE
by on May 17, 2007 at 4:06:05 pm

Word, totally agreed... at this point I am a little stuck in my dense caveman brain about how to revert Quicktime back to the earlier version (which would be 7.0.1).

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeQuestion about reverting to earlier QUICKTIME????
by on May 17, 2007 at 4:03:44 pm

Embarrassingly, I guess I don't know how to properly uninstall the latest Quicktime version.
I just downloaded QT 7.1.6 when my problems started, and I tried removing the necessary files to get back to QT 7.0.1---but the G4 keeps telling me I'm running 7.1.6. I know Quicktime is a bit different from most programs, in terms of where the files are kept, etc.
So I very sheepishly would ask now how to step-by-step go back to the old QT???

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Question about reverting to earlier QUICKTIME????
by on May 17, 2007 at 4:26:19 pm

Ah Quick Time.... Apple has to write a 're-installer' or something like that to roll back to a previous version (why would they want to make it easy?)... so Rolling back to a previous version of QT is harder than it sounds, and I don't think they've writen a QT re-installer in a while.

if you have the auto software update manager turned on, turn that thing off now and save yourself future head aches...

My $.02
A.D.

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeRe: Question about reverting to earlier QUICKTIME????
by on May 17, 2007 at 6:04:27 pm

Well at least it's good to hear that it ain't just me!

Return to posts index

AjmetzRe: Question about reverting to earlier QUICKTIME????
by on May 18, 2007 at 6:46:29 am

Apologies if reverting to an earlier quicktime is easier said than done.
All I meant was, to try the free suggestions before paying for tech support. I use OS9 more than OSX, so I may have been out of my depth, although you may find some help on Apple's Quicktime support page:
http://www.apple.com/support/quicktime/

If reverting to an earlier quicktime is proving problematic, how about setting up a new login and seeing if M100 will run via that? That was the other suggestion someone made, that should be easy to try out.

If neither approach works, I'd give Dave an email.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Question about reverting to earlier QUICKTIME????
by on May 18, 2007 at 12:40:59 pm

Hi ToruWatanabe,

At the risk of becoming another voice in this thread, I just thought I'd chip in with some observations. Apologies if this has been covered already (it's a long thread!)

I'm currently running two media 100i suites and both are using the current quicktime versions without any issue. Although on the surface it seems that the QT update is to blame, I reckon there's more to this.

Couple of things. When did you last repair permissions on your OS drive? Weird happenings can sometimes be attributed to permission issues.

Secondly, do you have the software codecs installed, and the media100-codec component removed? This is just wild guessing, but the codec component especially used to cause compatibility issues.

HTH
K

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabeMedia 100 not opening---further information
by on May 19, 2007 at 7:44:04 am

For what it's worth , here's some stuff from the crash log that stands out---I don't understand this, but here goes:

"Failure at call to HAL_ABORT_OUTSTANDING_JOBS
bad status in Remote_HAL_Abort_Outstanding_Jobs -19308
Failure at call to HAL_ABORT_OUTSTANDING_JOBS
bad status in Remote_HAL_Abort_Outstanding_Jobs -19308
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8718
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8717
Frame Engine 1 is active 180f200
Open Frame Engine in a release 1
Failure at call to HAL_ABORT_OUTSTANDING_JOBS
bad status in Remote_HAL_Abort_Outstanding_Jobs -19308"

The HAL part matches something I've seen in earlier Media 100s when they didn't open...

Return to posts index

FlohRe: DAVE
by on May 17, 2007 at 9:45:20 am

[ToruWatanabe] "Hey dave, l still need further contact info from you to pursue the option you offered."

I think you can find Dave

Return to posts index

David C.Re: DAVE
by on May 17, 2007 at 2:54:51 pm

Thanks Floh. ToruWatanabe, contact me if you still need some help. Sorry I was off line yesterday and didn't see your post.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]