MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Change aspect ratio in timeline

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim EidtChange aspect ratio in timeline
by on May 14, 2007 at 3:39:48 am

How do you re-acquire SD footage within a timeline, while changing its aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9? I only want to do that to some of the footage, which was originally captured in the wrong aspect ratio. It's a complicated timeline, so I really don't want to start from scratch. Or maybe I could conform the individual clips in the timeline, but that option doesn't appear in the menus. Thanks for any thoughts.
This is all DV footage, originally captured via firewire. I'm using Producer on a dual 1GHZ G4. The footage was originally captured in 8.2.2.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Change aspect ratio in timeline
by on May 14, 2007 at 6:27:02 am

[Jim Eidt] "How do you re-acquire SD footage within a timeline, while changing its aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9? I only want to do that to some of the footage, which was originally captured in the wrong aspect ratio. It's a complicated timeline, so I really don't want to start from scratch. Or maybe I could conform the individual clips in the timeline, but that option doesn't appear in the menus. Thanks for any thoughts."

Does that mean you have a 16:9 timeline with 4:3 footage incorrectly scaled to 16:9 in it? All material in a timeline is in the same aspect ratio (at least Media 100 does think that), so some of your footage most likely is wrongly flagged either as 4:3 or as 16:9.
Now, if you have 4:3 clips in a 16:9 timeline here is what you can do:
Copy your 4:3 clip from your 16:9 timeline, paste it into a 4:3 timeline. The system will ask hwo to handle the 16:9->4:3 conversion, where you choose "Change aspect ratio". Now your clip has the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.
Copy the clip back from your 4:3 timeline into your 16:9 timeline, and when the conversion dialog pops up, this time use the "Conform Media" command with the settings you want to use. There needs to be some conversion from 4:3->16:9, and maybe you have to try some different settings to see which one is good for you.

Return to posts index

Jim EidtRe: Change aspect ratio in timeline
by on May 14, 2007 at 1:33:26 pm

Sounds logical, Floh. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]