MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

dual monitors on G4 dual 500?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PCurtis
dual monitors on G4 dual 500?
on May 11, 2007 at 6:36:48 pm

I've searched the legacy peripherals guide and can't find an approved graphics card that will run dual monitors in extended desktop mode on a G4 dual 500 (the intalled Rage 128 Pro will drive 2 monitors, but only in mirror mode).

Anyone successfully used the Radeon 9000 (or other dual monitor card) with this set-up?

Mac OS 9.2.2; Quicktime 6.0.3; M100 v7.0.3

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pete

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
Re: dual monitors on G4 dual 500?
on May 12, 2007 at 8:55:36 pm

We tried this several times in the past unsuccessfully with the same machine.

SCENARIOS:

1) Adding a second PCI video card. This forced us to remove one of the Media100 cards (FX board). The video card caused issues at startup and with higher data rates (125k/frame and higher) we had artifacting. (PCI badwidth issues.) DID NOT WORK.

2) Addded a PCI expansion chassis. Again, same problems. In this case, we were able to use all of our PCI cards (SCSI, Media100, Media100FX and Second ATI video card, ) BUT the PCI badwidth was exceeded...and we had artifacting issues. DID NOT WORK.

3) We upgraded the processor to a faster single. (1G). This did not work either. It was at this point we knew for CERTAIN that the issues were PCI bandwidth. (AND yes, we had already tried to "downgrade" the ATTO SCSI card's maximum Data rate/speed--to help "free up" some bandwidth.)DID NOT WORK.

SOLUTION:
We upgraded to a Dual 1.25 G4. We upgraded the stock AGP card to a dual head...and everything works great. (to this day.)

Return to posts index

PCurtis
on May 12, 2007 at 11:39:32 pm

Wow. Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, Cow. Luckily I've got a dual 1.25 I can switch over to the M100 system, but will that machine require an upgrade of the M100 software to v7.5 or 8.x?

Thanks again.

Pete

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on May 13, 2007 at 3:43:36 am

The issues you may face when switching to the Dual 1.25

1) MANY of the Dual 1.25 machines are NOT OS9 bootable. (Apple disabled MANY of them to help force users over to OSX.) Verify OS9 operability beofre you proceed.

2) You are running Version 7 (As opposed to 7.5) of the Media100. This may require you to install a FRACTIONAL OS and Quicktime install to work properly. (You may not be able to load OS 9.2.2 and Quicktime 7.1) You may have to load it into OS 9.0.2 and Quicktime 6.5 or something like that. Keep in mind the numbers (OS & quicktime) that I just used to illustrate the potential situation have not been researched. (You will need to read the old CPG guides for yourself.) We had experienced this issue in the past with an older system.

3) The easiest way around the potential Media100 version7 (Mix/Match OS and QT versions) conundrum....is to contact Media 100 for a SW upgrade. They sell a current update (7.5.1 for OS9 and 8.2.3 for OSX) for a nominal fee. Talk to them...they are pretty good about pricing. Typically the SW update includes a FULL SW update to the XS version.

FYI- Version 8.2.3 Media 100 in a dual 1.2 runs great under OSX.

That's about it.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

PCurtis
on May 13, 2007 at 4:15:34 am

Thanks, Cow. I owe you a beer. Or two.

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]