MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinConfused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 1:33:28 pm

At some point in the next year i want to move from my ageing G4 with M100i to something faster more capable etc.

I was really only debating M100HD or Final Cut but now Adobe has thrown a spanner in the works with Production Premium.

I am a heavy After Affects user but also use DVDSP Pro all the time too.

From a workflow point of view should I standardize on Apple or Adobe or use M100 with AFX and DVDSP Pro as I'm doing now?

Is Motion good enough to leave AFX behind? Ditto Encore Vs. DVDSP?

Do I really want to learn a whole load of new apps?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 2:05:52 pm

The really good thing is that all 3 systems (Media 100, Premiere Pro and FCP) can run on the same Aja hardware. So the decision is mostly related to which software gives you the tools and workflow to do your job and feel comfortable during this time.
I doubt that Motion 3 will be a replacement for AE; they have different approaches, and while Motion is a nice tool for some situations AfterEffects simply is much more complex and powerful.

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 2:13:46 pm

To run FCP and media100 using the same AJA hardware you would need to have 2 bootable drives one for the Media100 and one for the FCP as the drivers will conflict. I don't know if the Adobe would need to do the same.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 2:28:46 pm

Will they all run on the new AJA I/O box?

I guess I'll end up getting all three and choosing which to use depending on the type of job - more expensive but I feel that no one system is going to be enough - maybe the M100 forum could accommodate those of us who also use other apps along with M100 rather than going to that specific forum?

It would be good to share workflow tips when using multiple apps.

Thanks

Andy

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 8:05:01 pm

it would be worth having all three. im not so sure im going to jump back on the premiere bandwagon, but i am interested to see the integration between premiere and after effects and also the new color application and soundtrack 2 in the final cut studio . as long as m100 doesnt take away the export function, im happy. but there is no huge loss in owning all three suites. they'll probably help you, since media100 doesnt really have a "suite" of their own yet, unless you count RED, which is also pretty good.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 2, 2007 at 8:15:09 pm

[Bobby MV] "im happy. but there is no huge loss in owning all three suites. they'll probably help you, since media100 doesnt really have a "suite" of their own yet, unless you count RED, which is also pretty good."

Yes indeed, Boris Red is a good alternative to AE, and much better integrated with Media 100.

Color, or FinalTouch as it was called before Apple bought its parent Company, SiliconColor, is an excellent tool. We use it very much, and I am a forum leader over at the Cows Color forum. But it is a very specialized application, and I was really surprised that Apple does include it in FCStudio. They kept Shake out of the Suite for a good reason (since the FCStudio customers are not automatically doing Film-style compositing), and it somewhat is similar with Color. Especially without a panel (or more of them) to operate the application it is really cumbersome, and the way it works and how you need to treat it is really special.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Confused: Which way to jump M100, FCP Studio 2, Adobe Production Premium
by on May 3, 2007 at 9:18:50 am

It's probably a good idea for 'old' M100 users to get to grips with the Apple and Adobe apps - they seem to be establishing themselves as industry standard tools. We will need to spend the time to get to know them well enough so we can get the work out the door when the pressue is on.

I hope M100 can live along side. I think it will still be my first choice for long-form or non effects-heavy work. What would be great is to standardize on an SD and HD codec that can be used natively by M100, Apple and Adobe with no rerendering so you can bounce between apps as you need the features.

Now what about Avid..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]