MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Lower field

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Calahan
Lower field
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:10:42 pm

I have Telestream here working out some flip factory issues. Just checking, all the media100 codecs are lower field including the 844 right.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Lower field
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:28:17 pm

When I am preparing to encode and burn a DVD from an HD timeline edited in Media 100 HD version 11.5.1 using BitVice I was tought to check 'upper field first'. It is lower field if from the very start, ie. digitizing you are working with DV then lower field is correct. Anyone else commenting?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:40:49 pm

PAL codecs are upper field first, except DV-based codecs (DV, DVCam, DVCPro25, I think), which are lower field first. NTSC 720 is lower field first.

Return to posts index

Scott_F Media 100
on Apr 25, 2007 at 7:11:51 pm

Hey Jim, Nice to meet you last week.
All 720 NTSC are lower field. All HD are upper field.

Scott F
Media 100/Boris Fx

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:05:08 am

Does that apply as well if an HD source has been downconverted to 720 NTSC? I would assume it just becomes the 720 field then?

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:50:45 am

"PAL codecs are upper field first, except DV-based codecs (DV, DVCam, DVCPro25, I think), which are lower field first. NTSC 720 is lower field first."

I work in PAL with DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 and upper field seemed to work nicely all these years.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 26, 2007 at 10:36:08 am

[Felix Halter] "I work in PAL with DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 and upper field seemed to work nicely all these years."

Are you working with PAL DV-Sources that get acquired into Media 100 i codec, or are you working in the actual DV/DVCpro25/50 codec inside Media 100 HD or Producer? This is a difference, since the Media 100 i codec (and all material that gets acquired into this codec) is upper field first in PAL.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 26, 2007 at 10:54:15 am

Floh, I am now confused following your last post which appears to contradict your earlier one. All DV material when digitized into whatever Media 100 system (i or HD) is lower field first right? All HD in the system is upper ? What if we bring in DV to mix with HD onto an HD timeline it is upper field first right?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:16:07 am

[Michael Slowe] "Floh, I am now confused following your last post which appears to contradict your earlier one. All DV material when digitized into whatever Media 100 system (i or HD) is lower field first right? All HD in the system is upper ? What if we bring in DV to mix with HD onto an HD timeline it is upper field first right?"

I think somebody really should assemble a list of all different codecs and their field order. In Media 100 HD, all PAL codecs except DV are Upper field first. So Media 100 i, 844/X, Animation,... are upper field first. DV Codecs (DV&DVCam for sure, and I think also DVCPro25, but not sure about this one) are lower field first in PAL. All HD codecs in 50i are Upper field first.
Most of the NTSC codecs (Media 100 i, 844/X and I think also all DV-based codecs) are lower field first. 59,94i HD material is Upper Field first.

I don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:31:57 pm

Many thanks Floh for your speedy and catergoric reply. All is now clear, to me at least!

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:44:06 pm

[Floh] "Are you working with PAL DV-Sources that get acquired into Media 100 i codec, or are you working in the actual DV/DVCpro25/50 codec inside Media 100 HD or Producer?"

I always work in the media 100 i lossless codec, never used DVCPRO25/50 codec up to now. Would there be a visible difference?

Return to posts index

Jim Calahan
on Apr 26, 2007 at 3:02:35 pm

We only work in NTSC or DVCPro for the most part media100 i or DVCPro 100 on the HDs and 844 on the 844 which is all it can do. Telestream is having problems with graphics in the 844 codec when converting to mpeg for the Mediastream server we have for broadcast, either they can make the fonts nice and sharp or the video behind ok but not both at the same time.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]