MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

There's too much to fix before you can take Media 100 seriously.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wigler
There's too much to fix before you can take Media 100 seriously.
on Apr 20, 2007 at 4:30:39 am

I'm digitizing a reel and there must have been a timecode screw-up, but digitizing stopped although everything goes rolling along and there is no error message.

Digitizing should stop at a timecode error!

And maybe I'll be able to have Media 100 set my deck to 59:00:00 before the years is out.

I just ordered FINAL CUT PRO STUDIO 2 :-)

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: There's too much to fix before you can take Media 100 seriously.
by
on Apr 20, 2007 at 7:00:33 am

[Jim Wigler] "And maybe I'll be able to have Media 100 set my deck to 59:00:00 before the years is out."

What do you mean by that? For Mastering? Not really sure what this question means.

[Jim Wigler] "Digitizing should stop at a timecode error!"

Agreed, it would be helpful. But it seems anyway that tape is getting more and more replaced with "IT-based" workflows, like P2, XDCamHD, RED,...

Return to posts index

john
There's too much to fix before you can take Jim seriously.
by
on Apr 20, 2007 at 1:53:55 pm

jim

i'm thinking you might win the prize for the most consistently hysterical and pointless cow postings in the media 100 forum. i don't know why you bother. i honestly don't.

Can you be that bored?

Anyway I just want to clarify your position so i can understand this bitching we have endured since june 2002- is it that ....

a - you really don't like the product but are forced to use it?
b - you really like the product but don't think it has the same marketing cache as FCS?
and therefore not as "cool" and subsequently you are unable to say ' i edit on media 100'
c - you write your postings in a white hot rage that subsides later when you consider it more thoughtfully?

the reason i ask is that i have used this software for 10 years, and it has never been perfect. it has had bugs throughout its life. it has had shortcomings and it has let us down. but it has also enabled me and people like floh and jack s and nick g and elliot and so many others to earn a good living. a great income. not with the expense of an avid or the claustrophobic simplicity of premiere or instability of emc or duplicity of in:sync

and when it has let us down there has generally been a fix of some kind - either from the changing owners of media 100 or here on the cow.

so i'm not sure what you expect from your edit system. is it perfection?
do you really think that media 100 put out a product if they know it is hopeless?
do you think adobe or apple or sony or any of the nle makers are hugely different from each other?

in 10 years, the team at media 100 have never ever ever been more receptive to feedback as they are now. and i think they must find your petulant remarks annoying.

in all the years, the gang here at the cow never more receptive to a question or cry for help but you seem content to squander these resources.

just more and more, rant and rave

and didnt you buy Final Cut 4 in June 2003?
bidding us farewell with these completely innocuous remarks in a posting......

"why not just buy a product with REAL PROMISE" (your punctuation not mine)

c'mon jim
take a deep breath before the next on-line spray.

if it were paper you would be wasting ink.

john buck

http://www.velocite.net

Return to posts index

Jim Wigler
RE: THE RESPONSE FROM TITUS ANDRONICUS
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:29:17 pm

I get angry when the BASICS of PRODUCER just don't work.

DIGITIZING is a BASIC function, and you would think that a timecode break would STOP the deck and signal an error message.

When mastering a tape, setting the deck to 59:00:00 is an option that doesn't work.

FOR YEARS, I exported from Media 100 to After Effects and the results were fabulous... Now you can't do that and I used different codecs. Obviously the explanation from Media 100 was spurious because you can export from FCP and that's using the DV codec.

SO, BEFORE YOU MAKE MEAT PIE OUT OF ME TO FEED TO TAMORA, PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES. I AM GETTING A LOT OF MONEY FROM MY CLIENTS AND ALL THE GREAT STUFF THAT WORKED ON MY XR, DOESN'T WORK IN PRODUCER. I EVEN TRIED TO RAISE THE GAIN OVER A SPAN OF A FEW AUDIO CLIPS (LIKE IT SAYS YOU CAN DO IN THE MANUAL) AND IT'S DIDN'T WORK.

xoxoxoxo,
Jim

Return to posts index

Joe Rugby
Re: RE: THE RESPONSE FROM TITUS ANDRONICUS
on Apr 20, 2007 at 4:06:34 pm

Expectation is the root of all heartache.
William Shakespeare

L.O.A.

Return to posts index

RussTa
Re: RE: THE RESPONSE FROM TITUS ANDRONICUS
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:09:08 am

Been using Media100 since 1999 and haven't had any of the problems you are. As another person already said, when I do have problems, it's usually something I did or didn't do. Maybe you should talk to the folks at Boris/Media100 instead of ranting here, THAT might actually solve your problem.

Return to posts index

CleverMoniker
Re: There's too much to fix before you can take Jim seriously.
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:29:34 pm

Well, I guess someone had to say it.

John, thank you for running point. I, for one, will have your back when the sh*t storm happens later today (it's still not even 8:30 am in San Francisco).

Jim, don't take the fact that your outbursts often go unchallenged as evidence that we agree with and support you. It's much more like, "If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away."

I can't tell you how many times I've written a response to you just like John's only to delete it without posting because I just didn't have the energy or the time to get into it with you.

Jim, seriously...enough.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:08:06 pm

Jim may rant like a git,
but for someone still using 7.5 XR and thinking about upgrading later in the year(and since my budget is weak, may have to go for Producer instead of HDe), it's interesting to hear tell of some stuff that isn't working properly in Producer.
However annoying you find Jim, I hope someone is making note, so by the time I've saved up enough for Producer Suite, all the bugs will have conveniently been ironed out. ^_^.

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:46:31 pm

Ajmetz, believe what you want, but I can tell you there are many,many users out there, most of whom know how to use the software and edit video and are not complaining. That's why we have the try and buy, if there are issues, then do not buy the software. Simple enough. Think about it, if the software wasn't, "Ready for prime time," would we let you try it for free to 2 weeks?

Jim, hint on your mastering issue (try drop frame vs non-drop-that's your issue - oh and not a bug). And if your batch capturing- choose the "Stop on timecode errors" checkbox.

Good luck on the other side.

Dave

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:58:43 pm

Oh, and one more thing Jim. If you are staying with Media 100, post your DV device and we'll see if we can make the timecode break problem better for a future release (if it can be reproduced). I'm assuming you either want us to stop digitizing and alert you of a break, or to just continue digitizing then alert you that a break occurred.

Dave

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Apr 20, 2007 at 8:57:29 pm

Oh, hearing of this particular error doesn't really bother me, as I don't use machine sync or timecodes.
Prefer to just write what it is as a reel name, and then when I'm looking for a clip later, I can tell what's what by the filename, and it's not just a bunch of numbers.
Also I've got some knackered tapes, and it's annoying when you play them, and it auto-stops on a broken timecode, but I usually switch to S-Video instead of DV, and the signal maintains.

I was aware of the checkbox in 7.5, that dictates whether or not to stop at timecode breaks. I assumed it was lacking from Producer, the way Jim was carrying on. But perhaps the answer to his woes is only a tick box away.

And Thierry is right - is great to have a choice between systems. If I didn't want Producer, I could just get a tune-up to 8.2.3, or maybe even an SDe. In the meanwhile Media100i 7.5 has ensured my brand fandom. Although I agree with what Nick Griffin said about colour correction in FCP, due to the stylistic efforts some of the other producers I know had adopted for their pieces, that have been difficult for me to emulate with my ICEfx/Boris/M1007.5 setup. Still, I gave it a good try, using RGB Balance and a subtle Glow....unfortunately, I have G4 rendering times. =P
...all the more reason to upgrade at some stage!

But congrats on 11.6 and keep up the good work guys.

Return to posts index

Thierry BERNARD
on Apr 20, 2007 at 6:35:55 pm

M100 7.5 or Producer or HDe or FCS2 or anything else... thats fantastic to have the choice :-) isn't it ?
Take a break and keep cool... in France we are voting next Sunday and it's a big choice too.
http://blog.zanorg.com/?perm=179

Cheers

Thierry

955 ... the day after

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:27:57 pm

David C, Please register my vote to incorporate a color-correction ability just like FCP's, where you simply find something in the picture that should be white, click on it and it corrects all of the other colors based on that white.
It's really magic. Why can't Media 100 have it?
Whenever we're cutting on Media 100 and we've got a white balance that is so far off that I cannot correct it within Media 100, I dub to DVCAM, dig to FCP, color-correct, dub back to DVCAM, then dig back to my Media 100 (currently we have 6 Media 100 suites and 1 FCP suite). It's a little insane. So please, please come up with something like that. Thank you, -Thomas Hughes

Return to posts index

tankboy
on Apr 24, 2007 at 9:30:56 am

Jim,

been using M100 for seven years +. I've rarely had a problem with it. But when I have, it's mostly been due to a box I've forgotten to tick.

Hmm, sound familiar?

Cheers
Tankboy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]