MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

??? media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kolafilms??? media 100
by on Apr 13, 2007 at 7:00:09 pm

Runing old media 100 lx 7.02 ......... getting new mac tower.

Think of upgrading to media 100 sd or moving to finel cut pro.

I shoot some film (16mm), dv 30 24p and soon 24p hd on p2 cards.

Always like media 100 but, does the new system stack up??

??? should i stay or move to finel cut.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jim WiglerRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 14, 2007 at 12:08:23 am

With a new version of FCP coming out, and with Apple buying FINAL TOUCH and about to incorporate SHAKE into FCP, why would anybody in their right mind not stay with Final Cut?

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 14, 2007 at 1:12:16 pm

You can do both, buy the new M100 hardware and run either M100 or FCP on it. All you need is an extra boot disk, about $100.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 14, 2007 at 1:43:00 pm

Been there and done that -- with both options.

A couple of years ago I moved from our aging Media 100i version 7.x system to a fully tricked out Quad tower Final Cut Pro System. Then this past summer I had the chance to try Media 100 Producer (see story here in Cow articles). Producer allowed me to open all of the older and existing M100 shows AND open and use all of the digitized files.

What I concluded was that I really love the Media 100 interface and find it much simpler and faster to use than FCP. Mostly this is something as simple as fewer keystrokes / actions to accomplish the same thing. I still have FCP and use it for some things but mostly I prefer working in the M100 environment. (I will say that when serious color correction is needed FCP beats M100 HANDS DOWN and that to me is the biggest difference in terms of my requirements.)

As I have stated here in an earlier post, I was so delighted with M100 Producer that I upgraded to the full M100 hardware-based version. The biggest motivation for this was the need to use the Beta deck. By using different boot drives and being careful with the differing preference and extention files, I'm able to have both M100 and FCP on the same machine and switch between as needed.

Which brings me to what I feel is an obvious point: hey folks, the software is so dirt cheap and such a small part of the overall cost of an edit system, why NOT have more than one NLE? For me it's not been an either/or situation because even if I never used FCP, the other stuff in FC Studio is certainly worth the $1,300 price tag. I may do most of my editing in the preferred M100 environment but I love DVD Studio Pro and Compressor. Live Type and Motion are a welcome change from After Effects, too.

Hope this is of some help in making your decision.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 14, 2007 at 4:15:14 pm

The interface comment hits the nail on the head. It is easier and faster than Final Cut.
I have been using Media100i for the last ten years and preferred even that to Final Cut though it fell behind in what you accomplish with it.

So the fact that over the last year, Media 100 has caught up technologically is really great news and I am looking forward to updating to HD in the next month or so. And the new boards being compatible with FCP is an added bonus.

Return to posts index

GregRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 15, 2007 at 1:28:32 am

I edit on bot...HDe and FCP on my G5 quad. The only thing where I like FCP better is if you need to resize your video or do any kind of DVD moves. You don't have to build comp files in FCP, you do it right in the record window. You can preview everything quick, and you have your audio track as well. But for fast great quality editing...Media 100 Hde is great!

Return to posts index

matt shortRe: ??? media 100
by on Apr 18, 2007 at 4:23:57 pm

I have to agree with Jim on this one. I hate to say anything bad about Media100 (I've made a pretty good living with mine over the years) but, I don't think it can compete with Final Cut. In the end it all comes down to what you like to edit on and what you're most proficient with. If that's M100, then thats what you should use. Personally, I love using FCP. When I first started using it, it was like somebody untied my hands. 90% of what I used to go to After effects for, I do right inside Final Cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved