MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100i and new Intel Macs

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TomM100i and new Intel Macs
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 5:16:15 pm

Do I have any options for using my P6000 and Media 100i if I buy one of the new Intel G5's (or even a used pre-Intel G5 - would that make any sense moving forward with software, etc?)

I've been out of the scene for a while but have reently acquired some work and am hoping to upgrade from my G4 dual 867, but do not have the funds to upgrade the M100 (I don't think, much is the new SD system with a trade-in?)

I vaguely recall expansion chassis these still apply and are they reliable? New, used, prices? Links?

Lots of questions, I realize...ANY help would be apprieciated.

Tom D.

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: M100i and new Intel Macs
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 8:27:36 pm

You have no hope of using the P6000 with an Intel Mac. There are so many levels of incompatibility I can't even start. Same for expansion chassis. There is slightly more hope with a G5 but that needs the expansion chassis; you'd be better off getting one of the new M100 cards that will work in a G5 directly and soon in the Intel Mac. Call M100, their new SDe system is around $2500 list.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: M100i and new Intel Macs
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 9:37:16 pm

You can use the P6000 boards (but only the ones that are "Lossless capable") with the Pre-DualCore G5s, the systems that used PCI-X boards. But you would need an expansion chassis to use them. So you are definitely much more up-to-date with a IntelMac and a SDe/HDe or Media 100 Producer.

Return to posts index

TomRe: M100i and new Intel Macs
by on Apr 14, 2007 at 4:21:39 am

Thanks for the input, guys. Is there any advantage of Producer in a new Intel Mac over P6000 in expansion chassis in pre-dual core pre-Intel G5? (or vice versa?)

I'm talking speed, features, etc etc - Is it a no-brainer one way or the other, or 6 and one-half dozen?

(I very very occasionally still dump to beta sp via component, but most stuff firewire. Can producer be outfitted with an analog i/o box?)

Oh, almost forgot - does Producer now use a true uncompressed codec, or is it still M100 lossless?

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: M100i and new Intel Macs
by on Apr 17, 2007 at 4:30:07 pm

Media 100 Producer only offers DV I/O via FireWire which will be a 4:1:1 Sampled signal- going to Uncompressed from this signal would not really make sense - but Yes, producer and the new m100 Hardware products offer both an 8 bit and 10 bit codec (and you still have 300kb and lossless)

I have some experience with a Canopus ADVC-110 converter with producer, Canopus also makes a component version which is similar. This *should* work with producer.

Producer offers all the software features of the m100's new product line ( 99 layers, flexible codec support, much much much faster renders ) and is being developed - whereas media 100 i is not.

If DV is 90% of your source, and beta is only occasionally used - I would consider purchasing producer and maybe keeping you older m100 set up for analog captures (and eather/sneaker-neting your files to your producer machine).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved