MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100SW & HD with BorisRed4?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jaesonk
Media100SW & HD with BorisRed4?
on Mar 22, 2007 at 5:50:26 pm

Hi,

My problem lies with applying fx to the video layer inside a title or composition track on the upper layer. It renders black.

I'm using the latest version of Media100, BorisRed4, QuickTime, MacOSX, etc. The current projects are using Media100i compression. I've played around with other compression settings but Media100i at 150 helps keep the project size down and still looks ok.

V1: Title Track with two BorisRed4 layers
one applies blur to underlying video and the other adds text
V: Video clips

What happens consistently is that the video will render as black with the expected text or logos, etc. when I render from the Media100.

The only way I can avoid this is if I export my video clip layer as a QuickTime and then import that QuickTime into BorisRed4.

Has anyone else run into this and found another solution? I reported the problem to Boris but they haven't come up with anything yet.

Thanks,
Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: Media100SW & HD with BorisRed4?
on Mar 23, 2007 at 5:04:19 am

Am not always right about this stuff, as I'm not as experienced as some Media100 editors, but it could be that somehow, the effects aren't letting the video be seen beneath, hence rendering over black instead of rendering over the video footage.

Some others had a similar problem in this thread from last year:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/4/857919?univpostid=857912&pview=t

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/4/857919?univpostid=857912&pview=t

Return to posts index

jaesonk
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:34:24 pm

Thanks for the reference but I still have the problem.

It looks fine in Boris as I step through frame by frame or play a preview but any V1 track added to the Boris timeline will render as black on the Media100 side.

Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
Re: Media100SW & HD with BorisRed4? - My two cents, and an appeal to the wiser.
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:10:55 am

My point of referencing the other thread was to ask if it might be another track besides V1 that might be rendering opaque black and not letting V1 show. Try getting rid of any unused tracks in the boris timeline (unused text especially, but also any unused background colour tracks). Take another look at all the options on the V1 track also incase a setting is obscuring it upon render, maybe even try getting rid of the V1 track from Boris altogether, and putting the V1 video beneath your boris clip/graphics clip in the M100 timeline instead.

If none of these ideas work, then I'm the wrong person to answer your question, as this is where my limited experience ends.

Floh is the expert on these forums, and saviour of all...hopefully he'll reply with wiser words of advice than I can give. Or else someone else may chip in?

Btw...Is this problem just when creating a graphics clip in the graphics track, or is it a problem for composition clips in the video track too?

Return to posts index

jaesonk
Re: Media100SW & HD with BorisRed4? - My two cents, and an appeal to the wiser.
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:32:50 pm

I initially ran into this problem with more complex, multi-layered BorisRed projects. At the time, I thought that it might be something like a hidden layer or something I was overlooking. However, since then, I've done tests with the most basic of setups and run into the same problems.

This doesn't seem to be an issue if BorisRed is used as an FX track between A&B tracks.

But if you try to alter the underlying V1 track from a TITLE or COMPOSITION clip placed in a layer above the A/FX/B tracks then there seems to be a problem. BorisRed displays the projects ok while still in Red but after applying and then rendering from the Media100 side, the problem arises.

At this point, I think it must be a bug with how BorisRed accesses video clips from Media100 projects or how Media100 provides access to those clips.

Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Mar 28, 2007 at 5:16:26 pm

Jaeson,

What version of Media 100 are you using? 11 or 11.5?

And you referr to SW - do you mean "media 100 SW" or Media 100 Software? If you mean "Media 100 SW," then it's 11.0 of Media 100. Have you tried installing/Upgrading to Producer? Producer is version 11.5 and the replacement for SW.

If not, maybe try downloading the trial version of Producer and open a COPY of your program and try this in Producer - maybe there's an incompatibly bewtween RED 4 and version 11.0 of m100 - I believe RED 4 was released after m100 11.5 and I doubt RED 4 was tested on 11.0 of m100...

My $.02
A.D.

Return to posts index

jaesonk
on Mar 28, 2007 at 6:02:31 pm

I have Media100SW 10.2 & Media100HD 11.5.1 and have the problem with both.

For example, I just opened a project with Media100HD, put a title track over a clip on the video track. Went into BorisRed, added one v1 track with a blur applied. Go back to Media100HD & render a fine shade of black. This might be useful if there weren't easier methods of created a black clip :^)

Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Mar 28, 2007 at 7:15:50 pm

Is V1 in boris the back ground video from you media 100 time line, or are you adding a new layer in boris and picking a video file for it?

If V1 is your back ground video from m100 timeline, what happens if instead if you pull a clip in using the bin browser?

As a test, create a Boris clip in media 100 on v1 and on vA/B put any video clip and launch boris - In Boris, change the media type of the background by clicking on the face and opening the 'binbrowser' find any other clip, and recreate your title and see if this still happens.

~A.D.

Return to posts index

jaesonk
on Mar 28, 2007 at 7:47:04 pm

Using Media100HD11.5.1:

One video clip on track A of the media100HD timeline.
One title clip added to V1.

In BorisRed, add one v1 video clip with blur filter.
Render from Media100 = Black.

In BorisRed, add one bin-browser clip (same as track a clip) with blur.
Render from Media100 = Correctly blurred clip.

It will also work correctly if the video layer in BorisRed is an imported QuickTime rather than something from the Media100.

In many cases, I want to apply an effect over and edited sequence of video. I shouldn't need resort to exporting a quicktime movie of the sequence or going to the bin-browser, etc. We didn't have this problem on our older Media100i systems with earlier versions of BorisRed. Something's up with the newer toys.

Thanks,
Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:58:42 pm

HMM... I'm stumped - I wonder if there is some issue where you simply cannot apply that type of to the 'back ground video,' as you say that your NOT seeing this issue if you're applying the effect to any other media type that you bring in?

sorry
A.D.

Return to posts index

jaesonk
on Mar 30, 2007 at 3:52:41 pm

Any alteration to the underlying video track by a BorisRed Title or Composition track above, results in black. I'm leaning towards bug in the software yet to be squashed. It's frustrating because I do this so frequently.

Is anyone else using BorisRed4 with Media100HD successfully in the manner that I'm having problems with?

Another annoying bug with Media100HD is the FIND UNUSED MEDIA feature. It always deletes the rendered filter files whether they are used or not. I like to clean up a bit at the end of the project before archiving it.

I do like the SAVE CONSOLIDATED feature in BorisRed4 for organizing all the pieces into one nice folder. An improvement would be taking this a step further by using a common folder for multiple BorisRed projects used in a single Media100 project. Many title tracks will share common graphics.

Thanks,
Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]