MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Can I do this? (Multiple IN/OUTs)

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.Can I do this? (Multiple IN/OUTs)
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:30:34 pm

Hi... Wondering if anyone can think of a trick for this...

I have a program that plays as a continuous piece in a few applications... It is updated often, so it is all in one timeline.

We need to make individual mpeg files of each section of the piece (19 in all) and each has both an english and spanish open caption track. What I plan on doing (because each mpeg of the textless and two caption versions needs to be identical with regards to in/out and lenghth) is create an in and an out range, export reference clips for each video track... and then deal with those reference files outside the program in my endcoder.

The only potential problem I foresee is that if I need to go back and change or re-export any one chapter or layer, I'll need to do all three exports over because obviously you can only save one in/out range in a timeline. This might then require me to re-encode 3 files when I really only needed to fix one.

The only solutions I've thought of are 1.) put each chapter into its own program (but this doesn't work because then updating the entire string would always require more work, but worse, be much more difficult to keep track of whether or not it is completely up-to-date) or 2.) re-save the timeline with each range saved... but this is also bad for updating the full string out.

(Sorry if my description is all over the place... hopefully you see what I'm trying to do...)

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Can I do this? (Multiple IN/OUTs)
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:45:11 pm

On other solution is to create an excel spreadsheet with all the in/outs listed... then I can reference that when I have to go back...

But is there a way to do it inside M100 maybe with chapter or some other marks?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Can I do this? (Multiple IN/OUTs)
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 8:55:44 pm

I am not really sure that I understand what you are trying to do, but couldn

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Can I do this? (Multiple IN/OUTs)
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 11:35:23 pm

I was thinking about chapter marks... I guess I could use one as the in and one as the out...

But how "locked" are they to the timeline? I notice they move when clicked on sometimes and can be dragged... I guess I could use those as reference.

The size of the timeline doesn't ever change... the lengths of the pieces are locked... I just need to make sure the in and out of the reference clips are at a consistent timecode every time (and when/if i need to re-export any one section)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved