MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

There is a problem with Media 100 & After Effects. A real problem! BEWARE!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wigler
There is a problem with Media 100 & After Effects. A real problem! BEWARE!
on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:08:17 pm

For some reason, all my exports into After Effects now have lines in them. This is happening although I have
(1) Installed a completely new system on another drive
(2) Upgraded in only QT 7.1.3
(3) Tested footage from two completely different cameras

It is happening on two completely different computers, so I cannot be the only one experiencing this.

AARRUUGGHH!

Return to posts index

CleverMoniker
Re: There is a problem with Media 100 & After Effects. A real problem! BEWARE!
on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:53:44 pm

OK, let's try to get a hold of this one...

First off, has this been working all along and suddenly went south today? If so, what did you do?

You originally (in an earlier thread) thought that it was because of QT 7.1.5. Did you update to OS 10.4.9 at the same time? What about this new system install?

What version of Producer? 11.5 or 11.5.1?

What version of AE are you using?

What Mac are you using?

What happened to the saturation complaint? Still happening?

Finally, you wrote "all my exports into After Effects now have lines in them".
A: do you mean "in" After Effects you see the lines or after exporting "from" After Effects, or both.
and
2: Could you be more descriptive about the lines. I'm kind of a visual person ;)

You're right, if you didn't change something and this problem has been here all along, you CANNOT be the only one seeing this.

fhgwgads

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 19, 2007 at 8:42:48 pm

Some additional questions: what kind of Codec do you use inside Producer? HD or SD? And how do you get your material from Producer to AE? With a by-ref export? Self-contained? Using the "Export to AfterEffects" command from Producer?

And yes, a good description (or even better a screenshot) of the lines you are seeing would be very helpful.

Return to posts index

Bernie Huth
on Mar 25, 2007 at 3:07:17 pm

I am seeing the same thing. I am running Media 100 HDX Ver 11.5.1 with the latest OSX and QT. The problem is bands in the final AE rendered files that are very visible when diagonal lines are panned. During the pan, these bands are offset from one another and the edges of these bands are quite obvious. There may be 6 or 8 horizontal bands in the frame.

I have seen the problem with both the DVCPRO 50 and Media100 HD (8-bit) codecs.

My hypothesis is that it may be due to conversions between DV and D1 formats, e.g. 480 vs 486 lines, but my attempts to be consistent between Media 100 and AE have not eliminated the problem.

Return to posts index

Ajmetz
on Mar 25, 2007 at 4:44:06 pm

Not just the wrong field order?

I use Media100i 7.5 and After Effects 5 both in OS9, and have no problem. But I have seen similar lines when I imported a quicktime movie into M100 once with the wrong field order.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 26, 2007 at 6:48:51 am

Bernie,

could you upload a short example of what you

Return to posts index

Bernie Huth
on Mar 26, 2007 at 8:00:25 pm

OK, here are links to a before and after...

http://www.hbphoto.com/Pre_AE_Frame.jpg captured from Media 100 HDx.

http://www.hbphoto.com/Post_AE_Frame.jpg captured from QuickTime Player

This footage has some questionable history as it was shot with a JVC HDV camera in 720 30P (I think). The videographer converted it to 16X9 DV (720X480)before he gave it to me. I imported it to Media 100 HDx using the DVCPro 50 codec at 720X486 (I think...this was last week before I experienced the problem, so I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been!). I subsequenty "conformed" the clip to 4X3 with the "cropping" option.

I tried both DVCPro 50 and Media 100 HD codecs for the After Effects render, but the "banding" occurred in either case. I guess the "damage" to the file had already been done.

Media 100 playback is "smooth" and does not exhibit obvious field reversal. I also tried the old AE trick of shifting the frame up/down by 1 pixel to reverse the fields and when it's wrong...it's very noticeable.

The comments above about the Quicktime "High Quality" could be true. I have not done any more testing as I was able to get around this problem by minimizing the length of the AE rendered clip and haven't had a chance to look at this a little more "scientifically." :-)

Bernie

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:00:02 pm

After some discussions it seems like there is a bug which mixes up video resolutions. DV-based clips should be 720*480 for NTSC, and under some conditions Media 100 seems to write 720*480 files with a 720*486 setting. If somebody has a step-by-step description how to get to material that shows this problem it would be very helpful, ideally starting from e.g. acquiring material (which input, which codec,...). Since we are working in PAL we cannot reproduce the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]