MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100i and FCP

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KitM100i and FCP
by on Mar 18, 2007 at 11:38:24 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a M100 project (M100i/XS v8.2) into Final Cut Pro 5.1? I'd like to digitize and edit in the familiar world of my M100 suite, then migrate the entire project to my client's FCP system for the final editing. Impossible? Any advice?

Return to posts index

jaesonkRe: M100i and FCP
by on Mar 27, 2007 at 7:59:40 pm

From the Media100, you could export an EDL from your project. This will only have the basic cuts & clips information, not the actual media or fx. I'm not familiar with FCP but I suppose it would have an import EDL feature. After that, you'd reacquire the necessary media in some sort of batch digitize/acquire.

If you are using BorisRed4 for graphics, then inside BorisRed, you can save a CONSOLIDATED project and open that with BorisRed in FCP. CONSOLIDATED projects gather & save all the media used by that project into a single folder for easy transport & backup.

I'm not sure if the CONSOLIDATED feature is present in older versions of Red or in other Boris products like BorisFX & Graffiti but you could check.

If you're not doing too much tweaking from the original Media100 project, then you could export it as one or several QuickTime movies for later import in FCP. Using the BY REFERENCE option when exporting from the Media100 will save you some drive space and retain the quality of the original Media100 media.

Another drive space saving tip for Media100 is the FIND UNUSED MEDIA option. You are given some parameters to select to refine your search. If you look for unused media in your PROJECT then it gathers everything that isn't in your programs & bins into a new bin. From there you can select all and DELETE CLIP & MEDIA. You may be asked if you want to DELETE ALL or DELETE OWNED ONLY. I choose the latter because some projects may share media files and you don't want to delete shared media. After emptying the trash, you'll reclaim precious drive space.

I typically use this feature at the end of the pipeline, before moving it to the archives.

Jaeson K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved