MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Complex Audio issue?..

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremyR
Complex Audio issue?..
on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:33:10 pm

Or am I missing something easy? On my Media 100 HD I am cutting commercial spots for my TV station. Audio is pretty typical... News talent, voice over guy, sound from interviews and a drone music bed. I put it all together and my news talent voice gets lost in the mix... it's hard to hear. I increase his levels 4-6DBs to make it sound like the other levels... of coure now his levels are hotter than anything else. The control room here at my station is having trouble puuting the spot in their system because the levels of my news talent are so loud. I am by no means an audio pro... can somebody help me out?

Thanks
Jeremy

By the way, I am having this issue on every spot I produce!

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Complex Audio issue?..
by
on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:49:06 pm

This sounds like you really need some audio advice. First thing is probably to apply a compressor to your talent audio clips. Most of the times it already helps a lot in its default settings. You can tweak the ratio and the Threshold to boost the voice even more.
And you should apply a limiter to your Master audio track to make sure that your levels don

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Mar 16, 2007 at 7:21:50 pm

Thanks for the help Flow.
I am self taught, and unfortunatly I have not delved deep enough into audio.
I do not know what you mean by the built in limiter. If you mean the Audio window, I'm not sure if it has limiting capabilities. I can set the "Nominal Reference (dbFS)" to -9... but I don't think it will clip anything. I manually adjust the sliders up and down for each track, so the master track hits that reference point... but I have to increase the levels of the Talent vo's so their audible level is the same.

It seems so cut and dry, but it's turning into a major issue.

Thanks for any insight

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Mar 16, 2007 at 7:44:42 pm

'Apple' 5 will bring up the audio effects window and if you look under dynamics you will find compressor and limiter capability.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 16, 2007 at 10:14:16 pm

[Jim Wilcox] "'Apple' 5 will bring up the audio effects window and if you look under dynamics you will find compressor and limiter capability."

Yes, that

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Mar 16, 2007 at 10:34:21 pm

So to create a master audio clip, would I have to render the audio out the import it and then put it into the timeline?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 17, 2007 at 10:03:42 am

[jeremyR] "So to create a master audio clip, would I have to render the audio out the import it and then put it into the timeline?"

No, in your timeline there is a "Bus" track at the bottom. If you Command-Click and drag there you create a "Master Audio" clip, which is used for Master Audio effects (audio effects that apply to your mix instead of to single clips/tracks). For this master audio clip you can adjust the settings as you can for individual clips on your timeline.

Return to posts index

jeremyR
on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:54:50 pm

WOW! How did I miss that! Thanks for your help! I can hear my audio improving already!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]