MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Shake and Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Taplin
Shake and Media 100
on Mar 9, 2007 at 5:33:39 pm

Hi

Anyone using Shake with M100 8.2 - it's now at a bargain price so I'm thinking of getting a copy. I'm using AFX of course and i know it pretty well, what's the Shake learning curve like with the node based interface?

Any major advantages over AFX?

Thanks

Andy

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Shake and Media 100
by
on Mar 9, 2007 at 6:02:12 pm

[Andy Taplin] "I'm using AFX of course and i know it pretty well, what's the Shake learning curve like with the node based interface?"

Shake is a different beast than AE, and it is designed to do a different kind of work. So depending on your needs Shake may be a very good tool, or it may be simply the wrong system. If you want to do film-class compositing, like putting together multilayer 3D-renders, or if you want to "correct" footage (like replacing something in a shot, doing heavy keying, Rotoscoping or similar) Shake is probably the better tool. On the other hand if you want to do Motion Graphics and design work you are probably much better with AE (the AE/PS integration alone is a big plus there, the AE text tools and overall amount of filters are another).
I am currently doing some work on Shake, and think that once you understand how it works it really is a great tool. But I think the range of projects you can do in AE is much bigger than the one you can (or should) do in Shake.

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 9, 2007 at 6:23:50 pm

Thanks Floh

I think you're right - motion graphics I'll still do in AFX but Shake has such a reputation that for the money they're now asking it seems like it might be worth learning for those things where it's better than AFX. Chromakeying for example?

Couple of things come to mind:

Can it read the M100 codec?
Can you render out using the M100 codec?
How's audio handled?

Andy

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 9, 2007 at 10:10:05 pm

[Andy Taplin] "I think you're right - motion graphics I'll still do in AFX but Shake has such a reputation that for the money they're now asking it seems like it might be worth learning for those things where it's better than AFX. Chromakeying for example?"

Shake comes with Primatte and Keylight as keyers. Keylight is bundled with AE7 and Primatte can be bought for AE7. So keying is not rally a reason for using Shake, exept you need to do a lot of roto work as well. But you

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Mar 9, 2007 at 10:14:31 pm

Btw, there is a 30day trail of Shake available here.

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 11, 2007 at 10:20:30 am

Shake's sounding less and less useful for my usual video work - but I'll try the trial and pretend I'm working on a feature!

Thanks

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]