MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How can I reacquire HD clips to a higher quality without deleting originals?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby MV
How can I reacquire HD clips to a higher quality without deleting originals?
on Mar 6, 2007 at 9:03:04 pm

I have a long timeline with HD MJPEG-B clips on it and i want to reqcquire at best MJPEG B quality or even DVCPROHD quality without deliting the originals but whenever i batch the video files appear as green "Done". so it wont let me force reaqcuire my video files. how do i do this?

Return to posts index

JackAttack
Re: How can I reacquire HD clips to a higher quality without deleting originals?
on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:49:57 pm

Have you tried simply re-naming the actual media clip (on the drives you capture your media to)? First, find your digitized clip - in your bin, highlight the clip and select "Show Source Media in Finder." Once the clip is located on your hard drive, SHUT DOWN Media 100. Then, simply re-name that source media file.

(note - make sure to locate that file's associated audio files, as well. you may need them later to re-sync the pieces back together.)

If the Media 100 cannot find the file by name on the drive, it will search for it and ultimately fail to find it... the icon for it in Media 100 shows up as "unlinked" in your bin and timeline. You can then re-dig the clip with your new codec capture setting.

DO NOT change the old file name back, ever!

Now that you've captured your clip in the new codec setting, drag the original source media file from the Hard Drive back into the bin with its new name. You might have to change your codec settings back to their original setting, or the Media 100 may try to convert the old file into a new codec during the process.

Voila! Two clips, different codecs!

Jacob (a.k.a. "Jack") ||
Creative Director / Co-Founder ||
LaunchPad Media ||
100 Galen Street, 2nd Floor ||
Watertown, MA 02472 ||
http://www.launchpad.tv

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: How can I reacquire HD clips to a higher quality without deleting originals?
by
on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:26:50 pm

[JackAttack] "Have you tried simply re-naming the actual media clip (on the drives you capture your media to)? First, find your digitized clip - in your bin, highlight the clip and select "Show Source Media in Finder." Once the clip is located on your hard drive, SHUT DOWN Media 100. Then, simply re-name that source media file."

Um, actually if you want to reacquire parts or the whole program I would HIGHLY recommend not to rename clips (in fact I would never recommend renaming clips used in Media 100 as long as you still want to use them; once renamed Media 100 will not relink to those files).
What we tend to do is to move all "offline HD" footage to another folder on your Video HD. Make sure that the "Auto Relink Media" pref is turned off. Now you can relink and unlink the files that are in your "offline media" folder by adding or removing this folder in your "Media Locations" window. This way you will keep all your bins and programs intact. In fact as soon as we reacquire something into "Uncompressed" we save the timeline under another name (with e.g. UC for uncompressed in the program name). Remove the "Offline" folder from the media locations for reacquire and add it after reacquire. Now your Uncompressed timeline will contain the reacquired version while your original timeline still will link back to the compressed version.
Not ideal, but it is a working workaround for this bug.

Return to posts index

JackAttack
on Mar 16, 2007 at 6:37:53 pm

I was suggesting a method I have used myself successfully in the past. Maybe my way is more down-and-dirty, but it works. Nonetheless, go with Floh's suggestion first.

In fact, I just reproduced my method: digitized a clip, renamed its source file name, then told Media 100 to re-dig the clip rather than relink. After it was done, I drag-and-dropped the original clip into my bin - I now have 2 different video clips - physically different but identical in footage/timecode.

Going one step further: I digitized a different clip. Unlinked it by renaming the source file, and let the Media 100 search for it. It couldn't find it. This was expected. I then re-named the clip back to its ORIGINAL name. Told it to relink. It was able to find it, no problem. So by changing the name of the source file, you won't lose abilty to relink back to it... unless you can't remember what it was originally named!

So I do know my method works safely, but it is all about understanding in detail how the Media 100 handles its original source files. Floh's way is safer, my way is probably what MacGyver would do :)

Jacob (a.k.a. "Jack") ||
Creative Director / Co-Founder ||
LaunchPad Media ||
100 Galen Street, 2nd Floor ||
Watertown, MA 02472 ||
http://www.launchpad.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]