MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BobPThinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 7:42:00 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm a long time media 100 editor still out here making a living on my old G4-based
Media 100 i (ver 8.2) and, as I think many of us have, I've been kind of apprehensive
about what to do for my next upgrade. I've done several projects with FCP (on a new Mac Pro)
and that seems OK - a little frustrating, and the app seems quite buggy compared to
what I'm used to with Media 100. I like the idea of being able to use my old projects and media,
and I love the speed and stability of my trusty old Media 100. On the other hand, Final Cut has
mobility going for it, and a huge installed base of users.

The HDe is on paper is a no-brainer, but was hoping to get some real world feedback from
some of you out there who are using it.

My main questions are: Is it stable? How was the transition from the older Media 100?
How does it compare to a FCP setup? Is it still well-integrated with After Effects?

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.
Bob Pierce

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 8:17:41 pm

Hi Bob,

Just a quickie - FCP can run on the HDe hardware so you can have the best of both worlds. and the good news is that it doesn't work out that much more expensive than buying the hardware alone for FCP.

K

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 8:53:57 pm

[BobP] "Is it stable? "

Yes

[BobP] "How was the transition from the older Media 100? "

Very easy. The UI is the same, and all the new functionality is well integrated. The whole video world is getting more complicated with different resolutions and media formats, but that

Return to posts index

Bobby MVRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 10:03:47 pm

the HDe is great, we also have an HDX, which is the PCI-X version from optibase equivalent to the HD suite. the hde seems to be the most flexible in terms of outputs and inputs since it supports analog HD and SD component inputs. it also has sdi embedded audio and AES audio through seperate BNC and XLR. the only thing it does not have is a dedicated composite output or s-video which can be handy sometimes for those quick dvd or vhs client dubs. AE compatibility is great, but if you want one right now they only work with PPC macs, the intel mac software support will be available soon, so you may have to wait until after april or sometime to be up and running with the latest stuff. In the meantime you could get fcp running, kona has released intel versions of their drivers for the Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 4, 2007 at 11:02:06 pm

I did that exactly, I bought Media 100 HDe as a long tome m100 user. I also bought FCP Studio. They are both running on my mac G5 Quad. There really is not transition from the "older M100", it works just like the former software with MANY improvements.

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 5, 2007 at 12:14:08 am

If you need to upconvert it can be an issue as the HDe doesn't up convert SD to HD, 720 to 1080, etc. It will down convert and the hardware can be used for FCP in a dual boot configuration. It will do something else the HDx card won't Aquire (not digitize anymore) DVCPro HD codec. The HDx will only aquire uncompressed HD which can be a space and bandwidth issue.

Jim Calahan
KVIE, Sacramento

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2007 at 7:27:40 am

[Jim Calahan] "If you need to upconvert it can be an issue as the HDe doesn't up convert SD to HD, 720 to 1080, etc."

The HDe does not upconvert in hardware unlike the HDx and HD Suite, but it still can upconvert SD footage to HD using the Media 100 software. Not realtime, but relatively fast.

[Jim Calahan] "The HDx will only aquire uncompressed HD which can be a space and bandwidth issue. "

The HDx running V11.5 can also acquire into DVCProHD and MJPEG B for HD material, as the Aja-based systems.

Return to posts index

BobPRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 5, 2007 at 3:14:22 pm

Thanks everybody for the feedback, you guys are awesome. It does sound compelling, and I was thinking about a dual boot setup with FCP, which leaves my options open. My remaining questions are:

How well does the HDe work for creating dvds? Currently I'm exporting my media 100 programs out as reference to compressor (after a longish render) and mpeging that way. Final Cut seems a tad better in this area - or faster, at least (could be that screaming fast Mac Pro, of course!).

Does HDe handle multiple tracks of video as FCP? This is essential, I think.

Do HDe's effects (dissolves, blurs, color correction) work in real time or do they need to be rendered? How does it compare to FCP in this respect? On the Mac Pro FCP is quite amazing with this stuff I must say, and so I'm hoping the universal binary HDe (when it comes out) will offer similar performance.

Has anyone used it with Producer? I would really love to be able to take projects home with me to work on a laptop (or make small changes without having to drive back into the city). This is a pretty huge advantage to FCP.

And the BIGGEST QUESTION: Do you guys feel that Media 100 is serious about continuing to support these products? They doe seem to be revitalized these days and I hope the bug fixes and improvements will continue.

Thanks again for all the input!
Bob

Return to posts index

John TwigtRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 5, 2007 at 4:18:56 pm

-How well does the HDe work for creating dvds? Currently I'm exporting my media 100 programs out as reference to compressor (after a longish render) and mpeging that way. Final Cut seems a tad better in this area - or faster, at least (could be that screaming fast Mac Pro, of course!). -

I work with HDe and compressor/dvdsp. Works fine, export by ref, and mpeg in compressor. I have an G5 Quad, and it is fast, about the same speed as exporting from FCP. No real speed difference there. Just take care with the installation of compressor, DON"T use standard installation from FCP on the the same OS, create two partitions (or 2 disks) one with OS and M100 software and the other with FCP. Install compressor separately (solo) on the M100 partition.

-Does HDe handle multiple tracks of video as FCP? This is essential, I think.-

It does, it depends on your computer and the codec, i am able to play 6 tracks of 10-bit uncompressed video realtime (no fx, no cc)

-Do HDe's effects (dissolves, blurs, color correction) work in real time or do they need to be rendered? How does it compare to FCP in this respect? On the Mac Pro FCP is quite amazing with this stuff I must say, and so I'm hoping the universal binary HDe (when it comes out) will offer similar performance.-

Downside here, M100 needs to render color correction and effects, ALL of them, can take a while. With FCP you get a huge amount of realtime fx (at least on my QUAD)

-Has anyone used it with Producer? I would really love to be able to take projects home with me to work on a laptop (or make small changes without having to drive back into the city). This is a pretty huge advantage to FCP.-

Producer works seemless, however amount of realtime tracks drop when using Powerbook of course, also the amount of disks to carry along can be a hassle. But i switch regurarly between my Company and my home with projects, by just carrying a FW disk home, sweeeeet.

-And the BIGGEST QUESTION: Do you guys feel that Media 100 is serious about continuing to support these products? They doe seem to be revitalized these days and I hope the bug fixes and improvements will continue.-

Nobody knows of course, but it feels good now (at least compared to the OPTIBASE people)

Good luck with your decision.

John Twigt
Workstation BV, Amsterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.workstation.nl

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2007 at 4:23:57 pm

[BobP] "How well does the HDe work for creating dvds? Currently I'm exporting my media 100 programs out as reference to compressor (after a longish render) and mpeging that way. Final Cut seems a tad better in this area - or faster, at least (could be that screaming fast Mac Pro, of course!). "

The encoding time should be the same, regardingless if the material is from FCP or Media 100.

[BobP] "Does HDe handle multiple tracks of video as FCP? This is essential, I think."

Yes, up to 99 layers. The realtime performance depends on Codec choice, system performance and layers used, but you get quite a lot of realtime power from HDe.

[BobP] "Do HDe's effects (dissolves, blurs, color correction) work in real time or do they need to be rendered? How does it compare to FCP in this respect? On the Mac Pro FCP is quite amazing with this stuff I must say, and so I'm hoping the universal binary HDe (when it comes out) will offer similar performance."

While I cannot speak about Intel versions right now the HDe G5 systems are pretty powerful. Many effects (even ColorFX and Transitions in Uncompressed HD) perform in realtime.

[BobP] "Has anyone used it with Producer? I would really love to be able to take projects home with me to work on a laptop (or make small changes without having to drive back into the city). This is a pretty huge advantage to FCP."

Producer on G4 PowerBooks is not the fastest system when using the Media 100 i codec. DV-codecs are much quicker, since these codecs are more efficient CPU-performance wise. You should see big performance increases on MacBook Pros (dual core CPUs) fopr mobile editing.

[BobP] "And the BIGGEST QUESTION: Do you guys feel that Media 100 is serious about continuing to support these products? They doe seem to be revitalized these days and I hope the bug fixes and improvements will continue."

Yes, I think so. Boris is a well-known company in this industry, and I don

Return to posts index

BobPTHANKS!
by on Mar 6, 2007 at 4:19:31 pm

Thanks, guys, your input is greatly appreciated. I think I'll probably go for it, as soon as the intel version comes out.
Bob

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Thinking about buying an HDe - Anyone using it??
by on Mar 9, 2007 at 3:16:58 pm

OK I tried to aquire in the DVCPro 100 codec and the video glitches when ingested from an HDx card (it's fine uncompressed). I will call support and see what's up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]