MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100HDe to DVD studio pro

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
Media 100HDe to DVD studio pro
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 4:10:30 am

When ever I try to create a DVD using Media HDe to BitVice then to DVD studio pro, the fade up and out from black jumps and is not a smooth fade. Everything else seems fine. Does anyone have a solution? Can't DVD tudio pro read Media 100's black clip?

Return to posts index

arthur dent
Re: Media 100HDe to DVD studio pro
on Feb 14, 2007 at 4:36:52 pm

Try to force render the black clips. Find the Rendered Media file on you video drive and bring that into a bin - use that media clip when doing the export.

Not sure if this will fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

A.D.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 14, 2007 at 5:27:27 pm

Hi Greg,

Which codec are you using and how are you exporting it?

Is the problem evident if you play back the m2v file from bitvice in QT before DVDSP gets hold of it?

Just a thought, when you encode with Bitvice, is "use studio RGB" enabled? If so try encoding without it. I'm wondering if this is a black level clipping issue.

K

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 5:40:17 pm

Hi Kieran,

I'm just exporting it as a reference file from M100 HDe. Not sure which codec I'm using. Do you have a suggestion? The problem is apparent in BitVice before I send it to DVD SP. It's also apparent in the DVD SP in the test phase.

I do use Studio RGB as everyone here as always suggested that. I'm not sure what it's real purpose is. Any advice?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 14, 2007 at 6:02:44 pm

Hi Greg,

Studio RGB scales the levels of Media100i's legal range (16-235) with black at 16 and white at 235 to meet Apple's prefered RGB (0-255) range with black at 0. This was crucial when using Media 100i's codec, but with the other codecs available in HDe I'm not so sure - Perhaps Floh can jump in here?

Using the Studio RGB button on media that is already 0-255 might have clipping effects like you decribe as the early stages of a fade would be crushed to the same level and create a jump. That said, I'm speculating here so experimentation is the key.

I do remember something being said about Media 100 changing the quicktime export to Apple colourspace rather than the usual media 100 colourspace, but I didn't think that affected "by-ref".

K

Return to posts index

Joe Rugby
on Feb 14, 2007 at 6:32:29 pm

Have you tried substituting a black pict file for the M100 black?

L.O.A.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 6:58:04 pm

I've seen that suggestion herein searching through the posts, but there should be no reason why one can't fade up from black cleanly with the software the way it is.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 9:57:34 pm

[Kieran Matthew] "Studio RGB scales the levels of Media100i's legal range (16-235) with black at 16 and white at 235 to meet Apple's prefered RGB (0-255) range with black at 0. This was crucial when using Media 100i's codec, but with the other codecs available in HDe I'm not so sure - Perhaps Floh can jump in here?"

This still is the case with the Media 100 codecs (844/X, Media 100 HD and Media 100 i), but it is not true for "generic" QuickTime codecs. So one reason for your problem could be a jump between 2 different codec color spaces. Say you have digitized into Media 100 i codec and you are rendering into Uncompressed 8bit 4.2.2 codec you would create luma jumps in an Quicktime (by ref or self-contained) export as soon as the rendered part starts. The Media 100 i codec file would use 16-235 RGB values and the transition would use 0-255 RGB, causing a jump as soon as a transition starts and ends. To avoid this, make sure that you work in one "class" of codecs (either in the Media 100 codecs or in the standard QuickTime codecs). But from your description I am not really sure if this is what you are seeing.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 16, 2007 at 5:16:48 pm

Floh-

I'm digitizing into the Media 100i codec, and rendering into the same. So this isn't the case. Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:19:24 pm

Hi Greg,

What exactly does the problem look like? Can you post a short segement?

I assume by jump you mean "one-minute black, next almost full video", rather than the usual stepping you get from viewing interlaced MPEG2 fades on a progressive computer screen.

Are there any other problems with the video?

K

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 17, 2007 at 4:27:35 am

Kieran,

On this video I had a client who taped a short intro onn Mini DV. I added a 20 frame dissolve from black to his image. As it fades up it goes brighter than it's video level for 1 frame then to normal. It's an ugly fade up.

I also notice a slight verticle shift on the top of the frame of video. I can't figure out how to post the clip here or I would. Any thoughts on posting an m2vclip here? I tried BitVIce with and without RGB...it looks the same.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 17, 2007 at 10:15:18 am

[Greg] "On this video I had a client who taped a short intro onn Mini DV. I added a 20 frame dissolve from black to his image. As it fades up it goes brighter than it's video level for 1 frame then to normal. It's an ugly fade up."

Where are you seeing this? In Media 100 already? Is it visible in your exported file (by ref from Media 100)? Or only in your encoded MPEG? From what you are describing it sounds like a 16-235/0-255 range problem. The dissolve seems to be rendered in a 0-255 codec, while the original clip is in 16-235. Unrender the dissolve, set the rendering codec to Media 100 i (or Media 100 HD) and render again. Export and look at the resulting QuickTime.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 17, 2007 at 4:38:48 pm

Floh, I'm not seeing this in Media 100. I just noticed that it is visible in the exported file (by reference from Media 100). Both the acquire and render codec settings are set to media 100i, best quality and the Do Lossless compression boxes are checked.

Can this have anything to do with the fact that the clip is from Mini DV while everything else is digitized from Beta SP? I also had this exact thing happen on my last project with a stock footage animationclip from Artbeats.

I tried what you suggested with the same results.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 17, 2007 at 5:09:50 pm

[Greg] "Can this have anything to do with the fact that the clip is from Mini DV while everything else is digitized from Beta SP? I also had this exact thing happen on my last project with a stock footage animationclip from Artbeats."

If you have acquired from DV into the DV codec (which of course makes sense) you have a mix of different luma ranges when exporting by ref. You should do a "full" QuickTime export to a codec you want to use, e.g. to Animation/Lossless to get the highest quality. When mixing codecs with different RGB ranges you will see this problem. To avoid this you could digitize into the same codec for the whole project (depending on what your target format is).

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 18, 2007 at 12:46:24 am

Gotcha. Thanks Floh .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]