MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

a potential HD project

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
a potential HD project
by
on Feb 8, 2007 at 9:06:58 pm

I haven't gotten into the HD world as of yet, but I now have a potential client looking to do a multi-cam HD shoot and edit. They wish to market their program on DVD but have everything on HD for future use. I'm wondering if I can take on the edit of this with Media 100 HDe.

I figure HD may be what I need to start moving towards.

I have a Mac G5 Quad with 4 GB RAM and 1 TB of SATA drives. I have the AJA I card Right now all I do is edit Beta SP and Mini DV. I have the Cal Digit S2vr Sata drives

My questions are:

1. Can my system edit this? What would be the down side?
2. What would I need to be able to edit HD? Monitor? Deck? More drives? Different drives?
3. What would be the downside of trying to edit this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: a potential HD project
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:23:10 pm

Hi Greg,

The big thing is there are many flavours of HD out there; which one they are planning to use will have a bearing on your questions.

That said the obvious answer is yes you can do the edit (in either M100 or FCP which may handle the multicam better).

Editing in HD will eat disk space and that may be a factor, but as the end product at this stage is SD DVD you could always edit in SD using the downconverts from the deck, keep the timelines etc, and then reconform in HD when the client needs it (by which time the disk space needed costs a lot less than now)

If you are editing in HD, your HDe will downconvert to SD for monitoring. Many people monitor the edit in SD until the finishing stage and then hire a calibrated HD monitor. (I have been looking at the various HD-SDI to HDMI converters as an option for monitoring HD on a domestic LCD HDTV, but at the mo, these seem only to be useful for client comfort viewing)

As for decks, hiring is still IMO the best option. That way you always have the right deck for the job and it is always fully-working and properly set up. Unless you have a need to use a particular format day-in-day-out (HDV springs to mind) I'd avoid trying to buy a deck at this point.

K

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:41:02 pm

[Kieran Matthew] "That said the obvious answer is yes you can do the edit (in either M100 or FCP which may handle the multicam better). "

If you want to do multicam on Media 100 get in contact with me. I can send you some useful Multicam scripts for Media 100 HD.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:37:53 pm

[Greg] "I haven't gotten into the HD world as of yet, but I now have a potential client looking to do a multi-cam HD shoot and edit. They wish to market their program on DVD but have everything on HD for future use. I'm wondering if I can take on the edit of this with Media 100 HDe."

Yes ;-)

[Greg] "1. Can my system edit this? What would be the down side?"

The first question probably is what kind of "HD" you are referring to. There is a wide range of HD flavors and types, starting from HDV over P2/DVCProHD and XDCam over HDCam to HDCamSR (plus probably some others that I forgot to mention). Plus, these different tape and recording formats use various different resolutions, framerates and codecs.
Generally you can handle most of the formats with Media 100 HD. But you definitely start refining the detais of the acquisition side to get more control about your post workflow.
Plus, you also should refine for yourself what you need to do in post, because this will influence your workflow. E.g. if this is "just" a editing job with maybe some titles you could work differently from e.g. a job with much compositing/AE or Boris work. Let me explain: If you do an editing job that e.g. comes from HDCam or from HDV you could use an SD as offline edit. You digitize all material you expect to need in e.g. a lower data-rate Media 100 i codec (from HDCam) or in native DV SD (when coming from HDV). You do all your editing in SD as you are used to, and you even create your SD DVD Masters from this timeline. This way you will 1. save a lot of HD space, 2. you don

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:38:51 am

Floh.
Thanks much. As I'm looking for sources to shoot HD, it's pretty open right now. Which HD "flavor" would you suggest? By the way, would HDV work well on this system if I were to shoot with an HDV camera? I'd love to take the plunge! Will that work just cutting some titles and dissolves. Perhaps some digital juice? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]