MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Rendering Time for HD?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HughesRendering Time for HD?
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:45:30 pm

I need a little help. I'm a bit weak on technical issues.

We shoot a lot of weddings. We have 6 Media 100 8.2.2 suites and a Final Cut suite. The next suite I buy will be a Media 100HD.

We've always shot with Sony DSRs: 300, 300A, 370, 390 and 400. Sony's line of HD cameras did not include a replacement for the DSR series of cameras. I've been waiting but it doesn't seem they're going to do it. They have their prosumer line of HDV cameras and then you jump to the XDCAM for $16,000+ each.

A few months ago, I bought two F330 XDCAM cameras. The image is astounding and we've produced some gorgeous short HD samples on the Final Cut suite. That system is on a G5 with loads of RAM, yet I was amazed at how long the rendering was for these short seven minute samples.

The idea of cutting a 60-90 minute HD wedding program would seem impossible with this amount of rendering required. I asked my editor if there's a faster way and he said no. Is he right? Is there truly no way to cut and master HD without days of rendering? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Rendering Time for HD?
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:52:35 pm

What kind of rendering do you do? Effects? Downconversion to SD? Colorcorrection? Something else?

Return to posts index

Thomas HughesRe: Rendering Time for HD?
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 5:47:40 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response.

"What kind of rendering do you do? Effects? Downconversion to SD? Colorcorrection? Something else?"

Effects: Not too much. Dissolves, slo-mo, B&W, a few more effects but generally it's clean video and audio.

Downconversion to SD: Mastering back to the PDW-F70 XDCAM deck. This is what takes all the rendering time.

Color Correction: minimal

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Rendering Time for HD?
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 6:06:15 pm

Media 100's hardware based HD systems will be able to downconvert and HD timeline while mastering, meaning you do NOT have to render an HD downcovert.

Media 100 will attempt to play disolves and color corrections in real time for HD timelines, but performance will depend on howfast your Hard drive array is, and how fast your computer is - but I do don't think render times for color correction and transitions would be too bad at all, but this may also depend on the complexity of the effect...

HTH
A.D.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Rendering Time for HD?
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:27:59 pm

Plus, you can also run FCP on the new Media 100 hardware giving you the best of both worlds.

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]