MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 HDe Platinum

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GregMedia 100 HDe Platinum
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 9:22:44 pm

My platinum that came with this system is about to run out. Is it worth it to renew? I rarely need help beyond this forum. Anyone here buying platinum support?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100 HDe Platinum
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 9:33:28 pm

Some things you should consider:
- Software updates. A Universal version will come sooner or later. Do you want to pay for it and for new features?
- Hardware replacement: What happens if you have a hardware problem? Do you e.g. need advance replacement?
- Support questions: do you want to be able to contact support?

I think I cannot give advice on the question if you need Platinum or not; you have to decide for yourself. But you should think about a worst-case scenario (e.g. your board dies), and what this would mean. If you have some sort of backup or if you are working on projects that are not that time-critical it could be an area where you can save some money. But e.g. for us it would be very problematic if one of our systems would go down for a longer timeframe. We had some hardware problems earlier and we were very happy that we had the advance replacement contracts...

Return to posts index

David C.Re: Media 100 HDe Platinum
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 2:59:26 pm

Hello Greg,

I'd like to take the opportunity to respond to your questions about the value of Platinum support.

Our support team has, combined, close to 25 years of experience supporting the Media 100 Product. With a Platinum Phone Support contract, you have quick access to an experienced technician. Don't get me wrong, The COW is a great resource for information, and Floh and the posters here are extremely helpful. But if you need immediate support or a hardware exchange Media 100 provides options to help you.

In addition to phone support, we offer Platinum packages which may include a year of software upgrades, or additional hardware exchange options in the event of a hardware failure. These services protect your investment in Media 100 hardware and software by keeping you up to date with new features as well as minimizing down time in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a hardware failure. Our turnaround time for Advance Exchange is next business day service.

We offer many support options ranging from just Platinum Phone support, Platinum Software Updates, and bundled support plans.

Please call or email our sales team to discuss these options.

Sorry for the sales pitch.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Media 100 HDe Platinum
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:56:22 pm

I guess the real question is how many upgrades will there be in a year, and how much will they cost? What will the universal software do for me since I bought a Quad G5 reburbished to get this software a few months ago?

I had platinum support on our M100i system for 5 years. The fees added up and I never used the support after I learned what I was doing. $1,200 per year seems high, in fact I could buy new software and hardware in 3 years time. Any other folks here have a suggestion?

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Media 100 HDe Platinum
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 9:24:05 pm

I have not had platinum support for years and thankfully, due to the high quality of the Media 100 boards, no problems at all! I upgrade when I feel the need to, which will be soon, in fact when the Intel M100 arrives. Maybe a NAB announcement or perhaps sooner. No problem for me right now waiting.

For the past few years I have been perfectly happy with version 8, currently 8.2.2 on OS 10.3.9
Happy, happy, happy - and I use the M100 all the time.

You really do need to make your own mind up based on your requirements concerning platinum. I have FCP as back up.

All the best
David Issko

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved